mtbr member
    Sep 2005

hfx-9 problem with master cilinder...

i took off the cap of my master cilinder to clean and inspect, trow away the fluid inside and accidentally pushed the lever and never came back.
    So i try to bleed but it just dont get to push the fluid out of the master cilinder/lever. like if it is cloged.
    any advice???
    it all begun with a piston coming out of its bore while bleeding, took apart the caliper to pull out both pistons, cleaned and inspected, one thing led to the other... and now here I'm.
    thnx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Clarity! OK, when you say your lever didn't come back are you referring to the lever blade itself or the feel of the brake?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    when you push the lever it pushes something inside (a cylinder?) and then it comes back and push the lever back to place.
    well, that part went in and didn't came back, the lever moves but now there is nothing pushing it out in place, it's all loose.
    I suspect the cylinder inside is blocking the way out of the air trapped in the system.
    I don't want to open that part, but if i have to, what do I need?
    the hayes manuals don't say nothing about this situation.
    thanks.

Race Technician

Give us a call..

1-888-MTN-DISC.

We can help you diagnose it.

Randy

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Good idea there, Randy

Question for checocc: Have you or anyone else bled the system recently? If so, what kind of fluid and bleed kit was used? How about lubed any thing in there? If the lever flops around freely but the piston in the master cylinder doesn't return, you likely have a big problem. Let us know about the answers to the questions though. That can determine an awful lot.

Are you talking to me?

say again?

Quote Originally Posted by checocc
    i took off the cap of my master cilinder to clean and inspect, trow away the fluid inside and accidentally pushed the lever and never came back.

You are doing what with the old fluid?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well, the front brake, where the problem is, has never been bleed before, I got the bike new about February 04, I use the Hayes bleed kit and Hayes DOT 4 fluid.
    I did the rear about a year ago without a problem.
    Maybe if somebody explains to me the manufacturer procedure for the first assembling of the lever-hose-caliper, how do they first fill the system with fluid, and what happens if somebody accidentally pushes the lever with no fluid in it? the manual says to have care not to do it but not what to do if it happens.
    I live at Monterrey, Mexico (excuse my English); and the trash company doesn't know how to handle this kind of fluids, if somebody can give me a good advice for it would be great.
    And Randy I think I will call you probably next Thursday cause I'm going out to Cancun for the weekend.
    Anyway if somebody has anything to comment, please do it.
    thanks again.