mtbr member
    Sep 2005

HFX-9 plugged master cylinder return port

the piston inside the master cylinder gets stuck inside every time I push the lever to the bottom. this started when I opened the MC reservoir to clean and inspect and took the fluid out of it.
    had to drill a small hole on it (on the piston) to pull it out. seals look OK, start to bleed and as soon as i get to the squishing lever part, again, it sticks to the bottom.
    after several attempts, with the same result, I think the problem may be some port or vein plugged.
    Does anyone know a solution to this? where do I find a drawing to see how those ports(holes) inside the MC connect?
    Any comment? thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Interesting. Couple of questions. Does the lever flop around freely after you engage the brake? Also, was the brake worked on recently (bleed/overhaul)? It sounds to me like you may have a contaminated brake system. This happens when a brake's rubber components are exposed to some sort of petroleum product. The seal will begin to swell and that causes the brake to lock up. Eventually the seals will degrade and start to fall apart. Not a cheap fix, as all the rubber bits and the hose will have to be replaced and the metal pieces thoroughly cleaned in an alcohol solution. With the prices that some companies are selling the Nines these days, if your brake is contaminated it's likely cheaper (and easier) to buy a new one. Did you contact Hayes and pick their minds on this?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Good call...

That's what I though as well JT. Does the MC say Hayes Nine or just Nine?

JT, tell JW to bring an extra lung to Angel Fire, it's at 11K altitude.

Rand

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by juancancook
    Interesting. Couple of questions. Does the lever flop around freely after you engage the brake? Also, was the brake worked on recently (bleed/overhaul)? It sounds to me like you may have a contaminated brake system. This happens when a brake's rubber components are exposed to some sort of petroleum product. The seal will begin to swell and that causes the brake to lock up. Eventually the seals will degrade and start to fall apart. Not a cheap fix, as all the rubber bits and the hose will have to be replaced and the metal pieces thoroughly cleaned in an alcohol solution. With the prices that some companies are selling the Nines these days, if your brake is contaminated it's likely cheaper (and easier) to buy a new one. Did you contact Hayes and pick their minds on this?
    1.- yes, the lever flop around freely. because the piston that push it back, sticks to the bottom.
    2.- the brake was being serviced by myself and I learned about contamination long ago with a car , so thats not the issue.
    3.- the MC says Hayes nine, it came stock with an 03 enduro so I guess it's an 03 model.
    I bought the MC internals service parts already, but I'm almost sure is some plugged line. I just wanted to know some procedure to unplugg it. I think I'll call Hayes soon.
    Any advice?