mtbr member
    Nov 2006

HFX 9 lever problem

Hi all. After a crash I am experiencing the following problem with my hayes hfx-9 carbon front brake:

When I pull the lever, the brake pads move ok and it comes to a point where they stop, having grabbed the rotor. So far so good, although I think the brake has lost some power.

The problem is that, if I apply more force, I can pull the lever all the way to the bar (almost). Of course this has no effect, as the pads have already grabbed the rotor.

Any ideas?

Former Bike Wrench
    Sounds like you have a leak somewhere...sometimes fluid can get in between the inner and outer lining of the hydraulic line. Might want to check the line real closely. This could also be allowing a small amount of air into the system.

Meh.
    In addition to mtnbiker72's suggestions, it could be the MC going out as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ok... So what should I do if I have a leak or a problem with the mc?

Of course, I could always head straight to the bike shop... But it would be nice to learn and fix things myself...

No Fear
    I had just the same issue 6 months ago .i had a crash and just had the situations you explained .
    you have to replace the master cylinder cups .The first cup which exposes pressure to the system is damaged .When you hit the lever the port timing hole in that cup had expanded in diameter and now lets fluid to pass from hose to reservoir under pressure.
    i have spent 100 bucks on my nines and now sold the mfor 100$ .once i broke the caliper piston post tring to place the piston a little out got a piston for 25 - Anothet time i hit some stairs on the lever and had your problem I bought the pistons of a friends old lever for 25 $- and last time i bled it with low profile fluid and ruined the cups .So i got a nother pair of them sold them and changed to Juicy's.
    Far more better performance just throw the nines away and get a pir of them.

mtbr member
    May 2007

End of the world...

No, just get a new MC piston and a bleed and you're back in business. Not a big deal.

R

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My LBS suggested replacing the entire cylinder-lever combo... Said something like "it doesn't look good". He doesn't sell Hayes anyway.

A cylinder-lever for the hfx-9 (not carbon) costs around 75 euros... I think it is too expensive and probably not worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Find a new shop...

Or if none is available, call the Euro distributor and they can fix it for you.

R

unknown
    Apr 2007
    i am gonna say look at the line as well. I just had the same issue, then after several bleedings I decided to pump the lever in an effort to get ride of any remaining air bubbles and bring them to the surface--the line then burst. Through the whole process I was in contact with Hayes and I can tell you they have some of the best customer service I have ever encountered, so thats to say if its not the line I am sure within reason they can help you, more than likely with something like a rebuild