Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

HFX-9 lever/master cyl sticking.

858 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BalleRacing 
#1 ·
I bought a used HFX-9 on ebay, which turns out to be fairly old, and it seems like the master cyl sticks when the lever is pushed. I'm wondering what's the best thing to try, will bleeding it a bunch maybe flush out any crap that's causing it to stick? Is it very difficult to remove the plunger, o-rings etc to clean it up if that doesn't do the trick? Is this possible to do without replacing the internals? - for the cost of the internal kit I might as well replace the whole lever...

#2 ·
fsrxc said:
I bought a used HFX-9 on ebay, which turns out to be fairly old, and it seems like the master cyl sticks when the lever is pushed. I'm wondering what's the best thing to try, will bleeding it a bunch maybe flush out any crap that's causing it to stick? Is it very difficult to remove the plunger, o-rings etc to clean it up if that doesn't do the trick? Is this possible to do without replacing the internals? - for the cost of the internal kit I might as well replace the whole lever...
You said that the brake is old, buts its an HFX-9? Those brakes have only been around since 2003, if thats what you mean by fairly old. The fix for the lever is probably as simple as loosening the lever blade bolt a little. I had the HFX comps at one point, and they were sticky when I first got them simply because the lever blade bolt was overtightened. If its an "older" model (like a mag), then its possible that the lever pin is pushed out a little. If it isnt the lever pivot at all, you may have a defective master cylinder assembly. The HFX-9 are not as repairable as the HFX-9 brakes and I believe the whole master cylinder assembly has to be replaced if defective. The Mag's MC can be disassembled and parts are available through Hayes. The piston rod could be sticking inside the cyclinder in either case. Hope that helps. Hayes has good tech instructions on their website (hayesdiscbrake.com) and pretty good customer service.
-Ryan

#3 ·
Master cylinder kit

fsrxc said:
I haven't worked on the HFX-9 yet since I and most of my customers use the Hayes Mag Brakes. I can get you the master cylinder kit for the HFX-9 for $18 http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=HY9816303
You may want to check the lever bolts and make sure they are not too tight first like the other guy said. Also check out the Hayes web site for technical manuals http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/tech.cfm
Erik,
Balle Racing
www.balleracing.com

#4 · (Edited)
Doh, not HFX-9...

You're both right, I assumed it was a 9 because the lever had the split clamp, based on the Hayes master cyl service manual I'm thinking it could be a 98/99 (lever pivot pin is held in with a C clip/ring).

It does have the cartridge, and the piston was not moving freely at all. I used fine grit paper to polish the piston and cartridge so it moves freely now. I'm thinking of giving it a try, since Hayes replacement parts are so expensive. Is the worst case that it might leak, and/or pump down? (because I'm in Canada it would cost me a bit more for shipping, duty etc. for you to sell me parts)

thanks

#5 ·
Yes it is a 98/99/DH if it....

fsrxc said:
You're both right, I assumed it was a 9 because the lever had the split clamp, based on the Hayes master cyl service manual I'm thinking it could be a 98/99 (lever pivot pin is held in with a C clip/ring).

It does have the cartridge, and the piston was not moving freely at all. I used fine grit paper to polish the piston and cartridge so it moves freely now. I'm thinking of giving it a try, since Hayes replacement parts are so expensive. Is the worst case that it might leak, and/or pump down? (because I'm in Canada it would cost me a bit more for shipping, duty etc. for you to sell me parts)

thanks
Yes it is a 98/99/DH if it uses a C-clip/ring to hold the lever blade pivot pin in. Here are the parts you may need if the polishing doesn't work http://www.balleracing.com/Hayes_Cartridge_Only98.htm and http://www.balleracing.com/Hayes_MasterCyl_Piston.htm
The part numbers are on the links so you can have the Canadian shops get the parts for you if you want to buy them from a local shop.
Erik,
Balle Racing
wwww.balleracing.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.