mtbr member
    Aug 2007

New question here. hfx 9 hd problem

First, its not really a problem because my brakes work fine and are quite powerful, but it is starting to get really annoying.
    I have hayes hfx 9 hd brakes on my bike and whenever i ride it, they make metallic rattling sound. It is a loud sound and is loudest when i make fast and usually sharp turns.
    I emailed hayes about it and the reply i got was that it was probably deflection and i was told how to fix that. I followed all the steps i was given and they almost completely stopped the rattling for about 2-3 weeks.
    Now for some reason, 5-6 weeks later, my brakes make the same rattling sound again and it is a lot louder and getting very annoying.
    My brakes are fairly new and i am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why my brakes rattle like that and how to fix it?

I am hoping not to have to get new brakes to fix this nuisance because they are new and have plenty of power for me.

Meh.
    Nope. It's flex and deflection. Center the caliper as best as you can. You'll get less noise if you drop a rotor size. Or you can reduce flex by getting a bolt-on axle. After you take off the wheel, make sure that the hub is fully inserted in the dropouts and the wheel is fastened to the same torque each time. Otherwise it can shift in the dropouts and sit just different enough to rub or deflect.