mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hey look what Avid forgot to put in my brake lever

So, my rear brake lever was pretty sticky, with super slow return. I've had this before on other brakes, so I knew just what to do. First I removed and cleaned the whole blade/cam assembly, but that didn't help. So I figured it was time to change the seals, and I pulled the right brake lever internals out and low and behold the answer to the problem lay in front of me! I had to check the front brake too, just to be sure.

EDIT: Okay I found it, the spring was in there after all. It was completely compressed into the bottom of the cylinder and I didn'tt see it down there. I'm glad it didn't shoot out and hit me in the eye when I looked in there, cause it was under some tension. The teflon ring was cockeyed and wouldn't let the spring extend. Woohoo! I don't have to wait for parts!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dhscaresme; 08-23-2009 at 05:09 PM.

mtbr member
    if this is a brand new lever... shame on sram for their quality. if the problem just developed (paint seemed peeling on one lever) - you should have known better than to think the spring was missing entirely. maybe you were too excited for a cool catch like that

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    if this is a brand new lever... shame on sram for their quality. if the problem just developed (paint seemed peeling on one lever) - you should have known better than to think the spring was missing entirely. maybe you were too excited for a cool catch like that

Yeah, it's shame on me. But even if they did forget, I wouldn't shame them, every company probably has a few manufacturing mistakes.. I didn't see the spring down there until I got a flash light, it was hard to see because in was quite a ways down in there, and jammed. Usually the spring/piston assembly does not stay in there like that hense my mistake.

Paint probably peeling from fluid contact.