mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Hey Avid why no BB7 ultimate!

I have been using BB7s for years now and have occasionally contemplated spending big money on forulas or maguras that would be nicer but then I see the 120+ whole sale cost per wheel and put new cables on my BB7s again. Plus with the BB7 I can rock my 5 year old 9spd XTR V-brake/shift levers.

As long as the BB7 have been around I am surprised avid is not rolling out an ultimate edition. Come avid can I get a little bling here! I am not asking for substantial improvements just a some anodized aluminum adjuster knobs and maybe a cool looking actuator arm. A cool looking lighter weight rotor or even something similar to the G3 clean sweap would also be welcomed. Maybe some grams off of now classic BB7 and add some bling.

I think its getting pretty close to the 10year anniversary of the BB7s and they are still making them - how about a super Bling limited anniversary version

The Mud Stud
    I strongly agree. And melt down those crapagon rotors and use them for scrap metal. Or improve them. As stock they suck.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay
    I have been using BB7s for years now and have occasionally contemplated spending big money on forulas or maguras that would be nicer but then I see the 120+ whole sale cost per wheel and put new cables on my BB7s again. Plus with the BB7 I can rock my 5 year old 9spd XTR V-brake/shift levers.

As long as the BB7 have been around I am surprised avid is not rolling out an ultimate edition. Come avid can I get a little bling here! I am not asking for substantial improvements just a some anodized aluminum adjuster knobs and maybe a cool looking actuator arm. A cool looking lighter weight rotor or even something similar to the G3 clean sweap would also be welcomed. Maybe some grams off of now classic BB7 and add some bling.

I think its getting pretty close to the 10year anniversary of the BB7s and they are still making them - how about a super Bling limited anniversary version
    You can bling them out yourself. Avid Ultimate levers, Scrub (56g for the 160mm rotor) or Alligator Windcutter (88g for the 160mm) rotors, Ti bolts all around and now you're about the same weight as Juicy Ultimates. And at the same price.

Or go "Andrew" on them and tune 'em down at the caliper weights as well and paint them after you finish tuning them: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...28696#poststop

29 some of the time...
    I think it is because they realize that the shear awesomeness of the brake would be so inconceivable to Kona0197 that it would cause his head to spontaneously explode
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    I think it is because they realize that the shear awesomeness of the brake would be so inconceivable to Kona0197 that it would cause his head to spontaneously explode
    You got me! Spit coffee all over everything...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Live 2 Ride
    Not cool. I have used BB7 before you know. Not a bad product. Leave me out of this.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Or go "Andrew" on them and tune 'em down at the caliper weights as well and paint them after you finish tuning them: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...28696#poststop
    Hahaha wow.

mtbr member
    No matter what you do to it still has 1 piston. I don't know about you, but I want both my pistons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Not cool. I have used BB7 before you know. Not a bad product. Leave me out of this.

Weekend Warrior
    How much stopping power do you need? Granted I don't Downhill my Bike but my problem is actually too much stopping power. I'm trying to get rid of some of that ON/OFF feeling. Maybe I shouldn't have bought the most expensive brake cables, or the Ti Levers. But I recently drilled out my Roundagon Rotors and it seems like i got a bit better modulation; but it could also be that I swapped my Organic pads for some Metallic ones on the front.

I'd would however try a dual piston design in a mechanical brake. Would it make a big difference?

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. It was like a bright red "do not push" button. With the other thread ( Those of you considering Avid BB7 setups... ) running it was just too easy to roast you on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    How much stopping power do you need? Granted I don't Downhill my Bike but my problem is actually too much stopping power. I'm trying to get rid of some of that ON/OFF feeling. Maybe I shouldn't have bought the most expensive brake cables, or the Ti Levers. But I recently drilled out my Roundagon Rotors and it seems like i got a bit better modulation; but it could also be that I swapped my Organic pads for some Metallic ones on the front.

I'd would however try a dual piston design in a mechanical brake. Would it make a big difference?
    Amount of power needed isn't nearly as important as using what you have well. I see evidence of guys slamming on their brakes at the last second (due the massive power of their brakes and little technique no doubt) and digging up the trail with brake bumps as a result. Good solid reliable braking is the goal, right? If you can't use what ya got right...

Well there's not much choice in the dual moving pad designs in mechanical disc brakes...I think the IRD model is offered under another brand name or two and that's the only one I can think of. From reports I've read they're still not up to a BB7, but no experience.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Weekend Warrior
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. People here usually talk about how much more braking power they need. I personally need more modulation. Applying what I got right. Eventually everyone should know how not to lock up their wheels in order to preserve our trails. I can't help it but smile when I see people with XC rigs and 203mm brakes on them. A Pair of 160s or maybe 185s (I got 185/160mm setup) should be enough if the breaks are really that good.

I haven't had problems with the BB7s and I just can't imagine having more braking power. If you DH your rig I totally understand the big disks and multi piston calipers to dissipate heat, but for the most part, most people here are XC guys that just, for whatever reason, need 22" Rotors and 18 piston calipers.

Bike to the Bone...
    I think that the original question was to release a blinger brake. Maybe lighter and nicer looking, not more power.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yea lighter and better looking and a better rotor would sure be nice. The design is golden, its so so simple and effective the casting just dose not do it justice. I would like to see some forged stuff, better feeling more solid anodized adjuster knobs and maybe a carbon actuator arm. A rotor designed from the ground up could probably make some real gains in weight and appearance as well.

Live 2 Ride
    I've noticed that most ppl do not even look at your bike so who cares about bling?
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

The Mud Stud
    I look at my bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer
    I look at my bike
    But you're always hi

The Mud Stud
    It just makes the bike look prettier...flowers coming out of the stem

mtbr member
    I'd be very interested in a nicer, lighter BB brake. Perhaps some wealthy brake enthusiasts should start their own brand...with my help...and we'll get rich... hint, hint.

I used a cable stop high on the seatstay and ran exposed inner wire from that stop all the way to the actuator arm, eliminating the need for the cast-in housing stop. My attorney tells me to tell you to never try this. A full squeeze on the lever would cause some flex of the rear end due to the cable tension, but since I don't keep frames for long, I wasn't concerned.

mtbr member
    I am playing with my new BB7's I would love alloy adjuster knobs and maybe an anodized black caliper. I am currently having the actuator arm anodized blue along with some other parts of my bike and I have replaced all the bolts with TI, the Ti bolt swap dropped about 38g, nothing major but an improvement. I swapped out to alligator rotors right off the bat and sold the stock rotors.

I wish Avid would make the BB7 in an Ultimate addition, Ti bolts, matte black anodize and laser etched graphics similar to the ultimate levers
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    I am playing with my new BB7's I would love alloy adjuster knobs and maybe an anodized black caliper. I am currently having the actuator arm anodized blue along with some other parts of my bike and I have replaced all the bolts with TI, the Ti bolt swap dropped about 38g, nothing major but an improvement. I swapped out to alligator rotors right off the bat and sold the stock rotors.

I wish Avid would make the BB7 in an Ultimate addition, Ti bolts, matte black anodize and laser etched graphics similar to the ultimate levers
    Post up some pics of your calipers once the arms are anodized. I'd like to see the look.

BB