indigosky

HELP: XT Hydro 4 piston rattle is driving me crazy!

I hope someone can help. I've got M-755 xt four piston hydros front and back on my surly 1x1. They both rattle like crazy, the rear especially when I'm at +15mph. I've isolated it to the brakes, by swapping out parts (wheels, rotors, hydro lines, fork, bb, crank, chain, cog, etc.) on the surly, until I isolated the noise.

The calipers are tight on the frame. I think it's the brake pads rattleing around in the calipers. I've had just the rear xt brake for about 9 months, and just bought the matching front last month. They both rattle! Help, it's driving me CRAZY!

Can I push the springs out more so the hold the pads "tight"? different pads & springs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've bent the springs to give them more ooomph.

Your problem is the single-speed. W/o suspension/gear noise you can hear the pads rattle

Seriously though you might be able to reduce it by bending the springs. I've done this before w/o any harmful repercussions.
    Dave
    Last edited by MightySchmoePong; 07-01-2004 at 07:46 AM.

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Your problems is the single-speed. W/o suspension/gear noise you can hear the pads rattle
    It's funny you say this, because yes, the noise really stands out on my otherwise ultra-silent singlespeed. Thanks for your advise, I'll give it a shot tonight.

Members who have read this thread: 0