mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Help Upgrading Marzocchi Z1 X Fly to Disc Brakes

I bought a used bike and looking to upgrade the fronts to disc brakes. Currently running XT V-Brakes/lever combo.

The forks are Marzocchi Z1 X Fly - which after some review seem pretty old. I measured the distance between the holes and it looks to be about 51MM-ish. Is this standard? What diameter discs would work best?

Looking at mechanical brakes for now...unless there is an absolute huge reason to go hydraulic.

I know I will have to update the wheels as well...so any help there would be appreciated. Let me know if there is specific specs I should look for.

THANKS!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    anyone?

mtbr member

51mm is normal for International Standard

Quote Originally Posted by chikai
    I bought a used bike and looking to upgrade the fronts to disc brakes. Currently running XT V-Brakes/lever combo.

The forks are Marzocchi Z1 X Fly - which after some review seem pretty old. I measured the distance between the holes and it looks to be about 51MM-ish. Is this standard? What diameter discs would work best?

Looking at mechanical brakes for now...unless there is an absolute huge reason to go hydraulic.

I know I will have to update the wheels as well...so any help there would be appreciated. Let me know if there is specific specs I should look for.

THANKS!

You'll need an adapter to mount most disc brakes which are typically post mount nowadays.. I just mounted XT hydraulic discs to an X-fly. Also, if you remove the V-brake bosses, you need to get a replacement bolt from Marzocchi to replace the screw-in brake bosses. The fork brace apparently falls off without this bolt in place.
    Once I've gotten my XT hydraulic brakes sorted out (need to bleed out some brake fluid to eliminate rubbing when the pads got hot), I really like the hydraulic brakes.

For wheels, if you aren't so heavy, check out the Stans rims which are light but still run fairly wide to better mount wider tires. I got Mavic 719s and if I were to do it again, would get the Mavic 819 rims which run tubeless without a rim strip or the Stans.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    got the same fork on my old intense, and is planning to go hydraulics too. and i was wondering about the bolt, do you know what its called? i really want to get rid of the brake bosses, nd also when did you order it from them? thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amjp23 View Post
    got the same fork on my old intense, and is planning to go hydraulics too. and i was wondering about the bolt, do you know what its called? i really want to get rid of the brake bosses, nd also when did you order it from them? thanks
    If you call Marzocchi and ask them for the bolt to replace the brake bosses, they should be able to sell you the correct bolt. That's what I did and it was very straightforward.