mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Help with upgrade, elixir 5 to xt m785

After some help folks, brakes aren't my strong point.

Apart from the obvious bolt off bolt on procedure, what spacers (if any) do i need to pull this off?

Giant Anthem 29er, getting the pre-bled M785 brakes. Do i need spacers? can i use the ones that are already there? what is the best way?
    160 rotors rear, 170 front, i'll be keeping existing rotors so just the caliper and lever change.

i put some photos below so you can see what my existing spacer set up is.

do i need one of these spacers? if so, which one?

Wiggle | Shimano Disc Brake Calliper Adapter Brake Spares

it looks like the xt calipers have the same mounting system and they do come with an adapter, but i dont' think it is for my application (right?)

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    nobody can help me? is it such a stupid question with an obvious answer? if it's yes, just put them on with your existing spacers/hardware, it would be nice for someone to confirm that.
    thanks

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    "170 front"

Don't you mean 180 ?

Shimano calipers don't use the concave/convex CPS washers between the post mounts or adapters like Avid brakes do. The design of Avid brake calipers make them need the extra spacing of the CPS washers to place it out at the right distance for the rotor, other brand brake calipers don't need this extra spacing.

For the rear brake the Shimano caliper will bolt directly onto the frame post mounts without any washers or spacers when using a 160mm rotor.

For the fork get a 180mm front post to post adapter from the link you posted.
    Your current front adapters/spacers have the CPS built in and will probably make the Shimano caliper sit out too far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    nope definately 170, which is why i was concerned as i can't see it listed in the link above, 2013 giant anthem x29 1, it says 170 on the disc and it states it in the specs.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Never heard of a 170mm post to post adapter.
    Stupid manufacturers making things that have compatibility issues.

Options:

1) Grind or file down the current adapters/spacers to fit, you don't want the pads to overhang the outer edge of the rotor. You'll probably have to take off about the same amount that those top CPS washers are.

2) Buy a 180mm rotor and a 180mm adapter.

This came up once before:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/xt-brakes-170mm-rotor-what-adaptor-post-mount-706528.html
    Last edited by cobba; 09-16-2012 at 01:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i suspect you're right, it's not that expensive to get a 180mm rotor and hey, i'll consider it an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Get a proper front adapter instead of the 2 black washers

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    "170 front"

Don't you mean 180 ?

Shimano calipers don't use the concave/convex CPS washers between the post mounts or adapters like Avid brakes do. The design of Avid brake calipers make them need the extra spacing of the CPS washers to place it out at the right distance for the rotor, other brand brake calipers don't need this extra spacing.

For the rear brake the Shimano caliper will bolt directly onto the frame post mounts without any washers or spacers when using a 160mm rotor.

For the fork get a 180mm front post to post adapter from the link you posted.
    Your current front adapters/spacers have the CPS built in and will probably make the Shimano caliper sit out too far.
    If you go up to the 180mm front then it will come with CPS kit. I was shocked. When I changed from Avid to Shimano, I hoped to never see the stupid CPS thing again.

Great brakes
    Good luck!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    OK, it looks like they supply a couple of the CPS type washers with the SM-MA90-F180P/P lightweight XTR adapter and the SM-MA-F180P/P2 adapter which looks exactly the same. These washers only go between the caliper and the bolt head, they don't go between caliper and the the post mount/adapter.

SM-MA-F180P/P2 Mounting Instructions

The old style SM-MA-F180P/P adapter that didn't come with those washers.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DimitrisCSD View Post
    Get a proper front adapter instead of the 2 black washers
    Those black washers would be Avid's 170mm PM to PM adapter for their unusually sized 170mm HS1 rotor.

http://www.sram.com/avid/products/hs1-rotor

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    **** hot thanks fellas! just ordered my 180mm post to post adapter from wiggle, new 180mm rotor and new brakes on their way!
    thanks for all your help!
    cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    **** hot thanks fellas! just ordered my 180mm post to post adapter from wiggle, new 180mm rotor and new brakes on their way!
    thanks for all your help!
    cheers
    Steve
    If you ordered the brakes from wiggle (or any other UK site), FYI they will be set up moto-style, meaning left lever=rear brake, right lever=front.brake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    that's how we roll down under anyways