Happy Trails

Help! Switch Or Not (V >> Mech)? Also, What Size Rotors?

Hey everyone. I have a 2002 Spec SJ with Avid V-brakes. I am about to upgrade the wheels. I don't really want to get rims that will accomodate V's or discs ... I'd rather just make a decision and then get the right equipment (though I'm open minded on this, too).

I'm 185 pounds. I ride in Maryland, with a fair amount of downhill, but mostly I am a cross-country rider. But I get to ride in some other great places like Sedona occasionally.

My 2002 Specialized SJ FSR frame and Fox Float 100 fork are set up for disc brakes and also for V-brakes. I don't really want to mess with Hydraulics, but if I stick with V-brakes, I'll go ahead and upgrade the Avid-3's that came on my 2002 SJ. What should I get...V or mechanical? Is there any particular brand and model that you recommend? I read a lot about Avid BB7 mechanicals. And if I go with mechnical discs, what size rotors for front and rear? What do I do with the V-brake mounting holes on my frame? Can I just thread a screw into the female threaded mount? Do I need new cables?

Thanks in advance!

...idios...
    Hello Scott, and welcome to the forums.

I'd suggest that you read the Disc Brake FAQ (link) and then take some time to scan the first couple of pages of previous threads - this is an oft-discussed, and sometimes contentious, issue.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler