mtbr member
    Sep 2007

HELP - Stuck Hydraulic Hose

I am swapping XT M-775 hydraulic brakes from a 26" to a 29" and I need to put a longer hose on the rear. I took off the connecting nut at the lever but the hose is stuck. I have pulled hard, pumped the lever while pulling and cussed at it, to no avail. It looks like the olive is stuck, thus keeping the hose in place. Any ideas would be great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    With the nut removed, you just have to tug harder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you're replacing the hose anyhow, go to town. Drain the line and the reservoir, clamp the hose in a vice, and pull the caliper assembly off of it. You don't have much else to do, as the other option is to pitch the whole thing in the bin and buy a new one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This was really stuck. No amount of pulling would work. After placing the lever in a position where mineral oil could sit in the threaded connection space overnight, I slipped a small piece plastic over the hose followed by a socket of a size that would make the the best contact on this area of the lever. Then I took a large crescent wrench and adjusted it so that it would slide up and down the hose but still make good contact with the socket. After a few minutes of careful but forceful rapping the hose and olive came out. When this was assembled at the factory I guess it was really wrenched down because the olive was deformed more than it usually is when removed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    This was really stuck. No amount of pulling would work. After placing the lever in a position where mineral oil could sit in the threaded connection space overnight, I slipped a small piece plastic over the hose followed by a socket of a size that would make the the best contact on this area of the lever. Then I took a large crescent wrench and adjusted it so that it would slide up and down the hose but still make good contact with the socket. After a few minutes of careful but forceful rapping the hose and olive came out. When this was assembled at the factory I guess it was really wrenched down because the olive was deformed more than it usually is when removed.
    Actually there is an easier way. A compression bushing works by forming an inline mechanical seal with the master cylinder or caliper. if you try to pull it out, straight out, you'll find that seal to be quite effective. However, if you rock the hose back and forth (cocking the hose side to side) in the hose port, you can easily break that seal, allowing easy removal. I've encountered this with every manufacturer to some degree, and the trick has always worked. Even in the case of a compression bushing that was stuck in the master cylinder after someone managed to pull the hose out of it.
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I made various attempts before this sucker came loose, including rocking the hose to and fro. This sucker was stuck big time and the olive was very deformed. I am sure it was tightened way beyond specs. I have worked on hydraulics brakes for many years and I have never encountered anything like this. Torque wrenches everyone, torque wrenches!