mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Help setting up Formula Oro Bianco for small hands

I've got small hands that aren't very strong and have recently switched from Avid Juicy 7's to Oro Bianco's .

I seem to get the best hand strength, and lowest forearm fatigue when the engagement point is close to the bar, and the J7's had enough adjustability to set this point very close to the bar.

The Oro's have the FCS but the range of adjustment isn't as large as the J7s and I can't get the lever to engage very close to the bar. And on long downhills with lots of lever pump, the engagement point seems to move farther out. Hence my hands hurt and I can't seem to get much power out of the them.

Yes I am using 1 finger, and maybe I just don't have the hand strength to do this.
    -Would switching to a 2 finger lever on the Oro and running it inboard help?
    -Is there a way to get more range of adjustability with the FCS so I can get the pads to engage farther into the lever stroke?

*Note that I'm using an old Juicy rotor and should probably switch a formula specific rotor to make sure that isn't the issue

Any suggestions would be appreciate.
    Last edited by ashwinearl; 06-08-2009 at 08:23 AM.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Can't you just adjust the lever position? FCS is just for pad engagement "speed".

g3h6o3
    Actually probably that a mix of reach and FCS would do the trick. The reach adjust on formulas are very well done since they don't push fluid into the system when bringing the lever closer to the bar. Many other brakes do this which makes them harder to setup.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've found the reach adjustment and the FCS adjustment are very dependent on each other. With small hands I have to dial the reach in a fair amount. With the reach in the FCS doesn't seem to do a whole lot. When the reach is dialed out more I get more range of adjustment with the FCS.

I need to call Formula and make sure I'm doing the setup properly.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer