mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Help! screeching brake problem!

Ive got 07 Hayes HFX 9 HD brakes and wen i pull the rear brake in to a certain point the disks starts making a really loud "vvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" metallic sound as if the disk is vibrating. Can someone plz tell me wat is causing this and how i can fix it as its really annoying! Could it be dirty pads or a loose disk? or something else? thanks for the help to ppl who reply.
    Cheers

mtbr member

Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by NicKKo
    Ive got 07 Hayes HFX 9 HD brakes and wen i pull the rear brake in to a certain point the disks starts making a really loud "vvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" metallic sound as if the disk is vibrating. Can someone plz tell me wat is causing this and how i can fix it as its really annoying! Could it be dirty pads or a loose disk? or something else? thanks for the help to ppl who reply.
    Cheers

...the caliper is out of alignment, one or both brake pads is completely worn out, and the sound you hear is the brake pad back grinding across the rotor cutout slots. What do the pads and rotor look like?

Walt

MTBR Demi-God
    Also, are the pads/rotors contaminated? Check for any stuff that should not be on the pads/rotors.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Meh.
    In addition to the other suggestions... make sure all mounting hardware is torqued to spec. If you have a full suspension frame, make sure there is no play in the pivots and that it is all torqued up. Check the rear hub for play. Check for loose spokes. Make sure the QR is tight.

Wipe down the rotor with alcohol. Sand the pads across sandpaper in a figure-8 pattern, rinse with alcohol. If the pads have been contaminated, replace them.