Recovering couch patato

HELP! ride tomorrow morning, but can't change 525 pads!

Hi all,

This week I put new pads in the hydraulic Shimano 525 front disc brake of one )singlespeed) bike, and was planning to ride my other 525-equipped geared bike tomorrow, with new pads as well. The pads I took off the rear were totally gone, guess discs don't like sandy mud that well (one ride, pads gone).
    Now, I try to push back the pistons, and IT DOESN'T WORK! They don't allow me to push them out, and when I push one at a time, the other will come back just as fast. Now I can't get the rotor in betwen the pads, not even a knife comes in between them. I try to push the pistons back of course without the pads.

Can you guys maybe give me pointers how to make it all work for me? I could save my ride tomorrow (EU time)!

Thanks in advance!

J
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Old Bald Dude

Did you . . .

remove the cover from the lever reservoir? This will allow the fluid to easily return to the reservoir and will stop the other piston from coming out when you push one back in.

Good luck.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Hi all,

This week I put new pads in the hydraulic Shimano 525 front disc brake of one )singlespeed) bike, and was planning to ride my other 525-equipped geared bike tomorrow, with new pads as well. The pads I took off the rear were totally gone, guess discs don't like sandy mud that well (one ride, pads gone).
    Now, I try to push back the pistons, and IT DOESN'T WORK! They don't allow me to push them out, and when I push one at a time, the other will come back just as fast. Now I can't get the rotor in betwen the pads, not even a knife comes in between them. I try to push the pistons back of course without the pads.

Can you guys maybe give me pointers how to make it all work for me? I could save my ride tomorrow (EU time)!

Thanks in advance!

J

Recovering couch patato
    Thanks man, I'm gonna give that a try for sure.
    As a matter of fact, I seemed to have some sort of oil loss before, but after I TOPPED it off with oil, it's been great ever since. Too full most probably.

More on-topic 525 stuff :
    So I rode my SS bike today, and loved it just as well. I upgraded the 525 front to 185mm (Avid adapater, BBB pads, Formula rotor). A bit grabby (almost lost it a few times when I cruised past the braking point for a corner) in the loose stuff after weeks of rain. I hope in the summer it'll work more smoothly, I hate a brake that rubs due to mud in it. Spraying water on it helped for just 5 seconds or so.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski