jt2
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Help please, disc rub on Enduro (2004) driving me mad!!!

Hi guys,
    just wondering if anyone could help me sort out this very annoying disc rub problem??
    I have a Specialized Enduro (2004) pretty much stock build.
    The problem I'm having is that whichever way I try to set up my front brake (shimano 555) it rubs. I can get the pads to stay away from the disc but as soon as I pull them one pad immediately adjusts itself to be tight on the disc again. (The disc isn't warped either).
    I just wondered if anyone has had the same problem or could anyone give me any tips on getting these brakes setup properly.
    Now I'm no mechanic but am willing to have a go at anything. The last time I had to change the pads the one that always rubs the rotor was worn out whilst the other was hardly worn at all........

Any help or advice on setting up these brakes would be very much appreciated.

cheers in advance guys

banned
    sounds like the piston has started to creep down and not retract. You can try to push the piston back in on that side and clean the rubber seal after taking out the pad. To push it in use a dull tipped screwdriver or a plastic tipped tire tool

mtbr member
    May 2006
    After you push the pistons in and out as above they both should move well.

Loosen the attachement bolts and,
    then use business cards between the pads and rotors, pull the brake closed.

Then with the brake centered and held to the rotor, tighten the attachment bolts.

jt2
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hey thanks for the quick replies and advice guys.
    I did try the sticking some card between the rotor and the pads then tightening up the bolts a while back. This all looked fine and dandy with an equal gap between each pad and the rotor. I thought I had it sorted until I was brought back down to earth immediately when I pulled the front brake. I was gutted to see that the troublesome pad had adjusted itself to be touching the rotor again straigh away.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, I just had a similar problem, went through a rotor cause of it.

The thread is XTR brake wear and construction.

Anyway turned out I had a loose R der hanger bolt, that allowed the axle to move a bit and throw it all out of alignment.

Maybe check all that out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When is the last time you had your brakes serviced? Have you changed the fuild since 2004? or checked the seals for wear? Just a thought, I try to change my fluid at least every 9 months to a year.