mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Help with old Avid model

Hi!

I need some help with identifying an model of Avid V-breaks. I'm thinking of bying a set of used V-breaks but I would like to know a little more about them before I decide.

Please have a look at these breaks an let me know if they are a good budget alternative (the seller wants $75)

http://www.blocket.se/view/4387603.htm?fk=0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zooltrix
    Hi!

I need some help with identifying an model of Avid V-breaks. I'm thinking of bying a set of used V-breaks but I would like to know a little more about them before I decide.

Please have a look at these breaks an let me know if they are a good budget alternative (the seller wants $75)

I wouldn't jump on that deal. All the adjustments on them would make them harder to align correctly and add a fair amount of weight.

Also, the price isn't that cheap. I purchased brand new take-off single digit 3 levers and single digit 5 brakes (complete front and rear set) off e-bay for CND$60. There seems to be a lot of cheap good quality v-brakes on e-bay as everyone is switching to discs.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by zooltrix
    Hi!

They're not a bad brake. Similar in many respects to the Avid Tri Align 3. (Which I prefer over these). They are not light, but they are adjustable (very easy, even my ham fisted attempts can do it) and they do work. The pads look like Kool-Stop Eagle Claws which work very well.

The levers are a 3 finger lever and have a different feel from most levers out there right now. These levers didn't feel as crisp as most of the current avid levers.

On the plus side, you don't see many of those around, they are easy to adjust. Are they worth $75. That I can't say.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...