mtbr member

Help Needed- New Avid Pro Bleed Kit??

I've been using the standard Avid bleed kit for a few years now, no problem. The seals on the syringe finally gave way, so I decided to order up the new professional bleed kit from Avid. I got it in yesteray, and decided to give it a go. When I close the red clamp on the syringe, and pull the syringe handle outwards, the handle continues to pull out, there is no resistance? On the old syringe, when I closed the red clamp and pulled the syringe outward there was resistance, allowing me to get all of the air bubbles out of the syringe before I started the bleeding process. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a different procedure with the new bleed kit? The manual that came with the new kit was identical to the one I recieved in my old kit a few years back.

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers,
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shalesjr View Post
    I've been using the standard Avid bleed kit for a few years now, no problem. The seals on the syringe finally gave way, so I decided to order up the new professional bleed kit from Avid. I got it in yesteray, and decided to give it a go. When I close the red clamp on the syringe, and pull the syringe handle outwards, the handle continues to pull out, there is no resistance? On the old syringe, when I closed the red clamp and pulled the syringe outward there was resistance, allowing me to get all of the air bubbles out of the syringe before I started the bleeding process. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a different procedure with the new bleed kit? The manual that came with the new kit was identical to the one I recieved in my old kit a few years back.

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Check that the hose fitting on the syringe is tight and not allowing air to be drawn in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm actually having the same issue with my new pro kit. The hose fittings are all tight and you can easily pull fluid and air past where the clamp is clamped. I'll update after I talk to the shop tomorrow.

I'm Slow
    I had a similar problem on clamp. I just placed a small piece of a rag in the red clamp area and that "pushed" the parts a bit closer to actually close off the tube.

If the red thing is holding, but the syringe piston is still coming out all the way, you might need to replace the o-rings. The kit should have come with some.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just bled my juicy 7's for the first time.. bought the avid bleed kit (standard) and had the hose fitting leak fluid out and air in. mostly when sucking air out of caliper. may not have mattered after finishing,, the brake seems solid. I'm thinking to super glue the hose fittings if they come apart easy. I think when bleeding the siringe rotates around and worsens the tightness of the hose? anybody have any other ideas????????????

mtbr member
    SRAM needs to come up with a better vacuum system than using syringes if they are going to continue using DOT 5. I can bleed a car faster than the rinky-dink set up they offer. I am going to experiment with an automotive bleeder such as a Mighty Vac. If it works it will certainly speed up the de-gassing process without the leaky hoses and syringe seal issues.

mtbr member

Problem Solved

Thanks dirtyjack. I feel like a moron. I've worked on my bikes for years and years, and something so simple like the hose connections not being tight enough was completely overlooked. Frustration over, brakes are perfect, rides this weekend were great. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shalesjr View Post
    Thanks dirtyjack. I feel like a moron. I've worked on my bikes for years and years, and something so simple like the hose connections not being tight enough was completely overlooked. Frustration over, brakes are perfect, rides this weekend were great. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Sometimes it's too easy to overlook the simple stuff. Glad you found the problem.

mtbr member
    I am having the same problem as cliffover3, and was considering the same solution...superglue the fittings to the clear plastic tubing. Has anyone else tried this or found a better (more elegant) solution?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    you could wrap a small piece of teflon tape around the tip of the syringe part that has the threads, then twist the hose fitting back on and should be much more snug. as far as the hose clamp, someone already suggested placing a bit of paper in there to make it pinch more. just did this the other day and had problem getting a good seal between the end of the hose fitting and the lever bleed port. ended up taking off the o-ring and using teflon tape and it worked like a charm.