mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Help needed for Louise caliper/adaptor/rotor combination.

I'm still confused. The research did not yield me with a clear picture.

I'd like to put on Magura Louise FR for this bike I'm building. Since I'm a little guy (150 lb), and this bike will not be a serious DH machine, I'd like my rotors to be 180mmFront/160mmRear combination instead of stock 210mmFront/190mmRear.

I don't want to use regular silver Louise calipers. I prefer the levers and calipers to be in black color.
    I have Manitou forks (Sherman Breakout), so the front is not IS mount.

Here are my questions:

1) Is Louise FR's caliper available in Hayes/Manitou (direct) mount for the front? If so, without the use of any adaptor, which size front rotor will it take?

2) If the front caliper is only available in IS mount, then, which IS caliper (long arm or short arm) with what adaptor will I need for 180mm rotor on Hayes/Manitou mount fork?

3) For rear IS mount, the short-arm caliper, without any use of adaptor, will fit with 160mm rear rotor, right?

Thanks in advance.

Do It Yourself
    You can run Louise with 180f/160r on your Manitou equipped bike. They certainly do have a Post Mount caliper (that's what I have). The 210f/190r is not exactly the stock setup because it requires adapters. The standard IS setup is 180f/160r. This is the long arm IS caliper front and rear with no adapters. The short arm IS caliper is only used for 160mm front unless an adpater is used.

Now Manitou is another story. I don't think they have a +20mm Post Mount to Post Mount adapter. I think you might have to get the short arm IS caliper and use the IS to PM adapter which requires a 20mm larger rotor. That will get you want you want.

But you should definitely give Jimi a shout. He can set you up with exactly what you need...

jimi@magurausa.com
    800.448.3876 ext. 25
    Long Live Long Rides

meh....
    Looking at the manual for the Louise FR's
    http://www.magura.com/english/downlo...ouise_05_e.pdf
    it looks like you might need the short arm caliper and #3 adapter for the front with a 180mm rotor. For the rear and a 160mm rotor you just need a long arm caliper.

Maybe Jimi has a better idea, I'm just looking at the manual and catalog. I've never seen the postmount caliper Homebrew mentions, and I don't pretend to know it all.

Monte
    MCM #64

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll definitely give Jimi a ring.

Do It Yourself
    Here's my PM caliper. I have the silver Louise XC using a Hayes rear adapter on the front for 180mm. I think they have the same caliper in black FR though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Long Live Long Rides