mtbr member
    Feb 2009

help need new brakes

Just killed my 1st Gen elixirR brakes and need to replace them. looking for a 1 finger brake with a firm feel but not a hard pull that has great modulation.

b a n n e d
    Aren't we all?

The two brands that are going to get recommended most right now are Hope and Shimano (current gen XT or XTR). All comes down to how much you want to spend really.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a "firm feel" with "great modulation" . . . having great modulation, in my opinion, is defined by having a softer lever (note: NOT a soft, squishy, mushy level . . . a SOFTER lever). This took me a minute (and trying out several brakes) to understand. I used to really like a firm, short-throw lever, but after running Hope's, which do NOT have that same firmness, I understand what real modulation is.

If you do really want that firmness, go for the Shimano line. They do have good power, and they do modulate better than most brakes, but their lever is firmer with much more of an "on/off" feel in comparison to Hope's. Hope's are much more linear and have a softer lever but FAR more modulation (and adjustability) than the Shimano's.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

King of Middle Earth
    Nahhhh, go with Magura. Very powerful, great modulation, light feeling.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Shimano SLX/XT or XTR if you have more money.
    In which case, I would go Hope instead - Tech EVO X2, M4, V4 depending on your riding style and local terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Moving to the charlotte area 200# rider, like to go fairly fast downhill.

mtbr member
    SLX/XT should be fine.
    If going for Hope, would possibly recommend either straight V4, or V4 front and M4 rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Got a great deal on 2013 XO trails will give them a try since my original elixir's worked great for 5 years and only needed bleed once.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just installed XT M785 brakes with the ice-tech 203/180 rotors and I just cant believe how well this bike stops. I'm 235lbs and ride pretty fast, these brakes just plain work! I am so happy with them that I keep stopping for no reason just to say to myself holy s*** these brakes are awesome! I have no experience with the others listed above and maybe they are better? Just saying!