mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. help a n00b re-route his brake cable

hey everybody, I recently bought a used Giant Warp DS2 and I love it. I go to college near a ton of awesome mountain bike trails. I want to re-route the rear brake cable to eliminate the bend from the lower bracket to the rear brake location. The yellow path on the attachment is how the cable is originally installed. I want to run it along the red path. When I did so it worked much much better, but if I squeeze with considerable pressure, the brake cable pops out. (See the circled image thing to see what part pops out). I'm looking for a fix to this problem. When I re-route the brake cable, it shoots it straight to the brake junction and that thing wasn't designed to pull straight up as it does. I was thinking about something like this red thing but don't know really what that is. Anyone care to help? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm confused as to how the cable could pop out..?
    I'd say route on left side (if that wasn't the intent to start off with)
    Should the cable pop out, wich is strange as there should be a larger "blob" at the end of the u-turn cable guide, try putting a simple zip-tie over it.

Live 2 Ride
    Have you tried making the part on the brake that holds the noodle a bit smaller by crimping it?
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Don't touch me!
    I'd suggest:
    1) routing the cable on the left side of the bike (if you're not already doing that);
    2) secure the cable housing to the frame using a zip tie and/or stick on housing guides;
    3) Important: leave some slack in the housing!!! If I had to guess, I'd say the housing is too short if it is popping out. if the housing is too short, the cable will "straighten" the housing loop from the lever's force, pulling it forward.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!

I reran the rear brake line on my warp...

Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    I'd suggest:

3) Important: leave some slack in the housing!!! If I had to guess, I'd say the housing is too short if it is popping out. if the housing is too short, the cable will "straighten" the housing loop from the lever's force, pulling it forward.
    Knowing the frame yer working with, I'd say this is yer problem. When I reran my rear cable, I used a different route from the original. I ran full housing from my lever to the brake to cut back on cloggage. It definitely needs to have some slack in the line so when you compress yer rear suspension it can still function normally. Also, if you pull hard on the brake and it pops yer noodle out, your housing is probably too short like BEERISTASTY said. It will pull itself out when it goes taut under pressure from braking. Also, make sure you are not bending the housing too much right near the point where it meets the noodle.

Hope this helps...
    [SIZE=4]SEEK THE GNARL, LEST IT FIND YOU FIRST.[/SIZE]