mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Help : My banshee Oro Puros

Hi guys,

I need some help here with my Oro Puros. I must say that they are a great set of brakes but the only thing that puts me off is the screeching whenever I apply them. I'm running stock pads with '06 Hope floating rotors. The brakes screech regardless of whether the condition is wet or dry. Please help, I don't want to scare the hell out of the wildlife.

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hi Kevinox73,
    Here are a few tips for figuring out what is going on with your noise problem:

1. If you brakes are squealing ALL the time it is possible that your pads are contaminated. Sometimes you can decontaminate your pads/rotor while others you may just have to clean your rotor really well and replace the pads. Try this: Pull your pads and rotor off the bike, scrub the breaking surface of the rotor with scotchbrite to remove residue, with fine grit sandpaper and in a figure 8 motion sand the surface of your pad material until it looks like you have sanded off the top dark layer. At this point, soak both the pads and rotor in denatured alcohol (can be found in the paint section of your local hardware store) for 10-20 min. Pull the pads out and let them dry for 10 minutes, pull the rotor out and wipe clean with a CLEAN rag. Repeat the sanding process on the pads and reinstall everything.

2. If your brakes are squealing intermittently, you should try to install the correct rotor which was designed for the Oro as opposed to another mfgs.

3. Check to make sure that all your bearing assemblies on your bike are tightened properly...hubs, HS ect. This can impact the resonance of the bike and affect noise. You should also inspect your fork for bushing play, and rear pivots/shock mount if you have an FS bike.

4. Check to ensure all fasteners are torqued to spec. Pay particular attention the the main caliper bolt which holds the banjo. This should be torqued to 12nm.

Give those things a try and if you are still having noise issues, please call us in the office for some more solutions.

Thanks

Chris Costello
    707 765 2770
    Formula Brake USA

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks Chris, will try them out and let you know the outcome.

Cheers