mtbr member

Help Me Decide!!!

I need your infinite knowledge in deciding on which brakes to choose.
    After riding the same bike for the last 11 years, I purchased a 2011 Cannondale Scalpel. Went from V to Disc brakes. I don't like the Avid Juicy Sevens that are on the bike which I'm constantly having to bleed. I'm looking for easier maintenance (bleeding), set up and reliability. I ride and race XC only. I'm buying used, and here are my choices:

-Formula RX
    -Hayes Stroker Ace
    -Magura Marta SL
    -XTR Levers w/ XT calipers

Looking at the MTBR reviews, each one of these gets 4.5 out of 5 chilis... harder to decide.

Thanks
    Last edited by Thatshowiroll; 11-22-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    personally, I'd go with the Magura's... most bang for the buck.. seems easiest to bleed and setup also
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I like my Marta SLs. There are plenty of deals to be had on the Marta line up, being discontinued. I would find a deal on a new pair, which entitles you to the 5 year leak proof warranty.

mtbr member
    I too have to chime in on the Maguras, and you can get a deal on the MT2's right now as well! They are on my wife's bike and are amazing brakes, no issues, best customer support I have gotten (Jude was / is always fast at answering my numerous e-mails).

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. The Magura MT2's are a no go an account of the hose fitting does not move.

Question: What does the FR stand for, as in Magura Louise FR? (Freeride?)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    After riding the same bike for the last 11 years, I purchased a 2011 Cannondale Scalpel. Went from V to Disc brakes. I don't like the Avid Juicy Sevens that are on the bike which I'm constantly having to bleed. I'm looking for easier maintenance (bleeding), set up and reliability. I ride and race XC only. I'm buying used, and here are my choices:

-Formula RX
    -Hayes Stroker Ace
    -Magura Marta SL

Looking at the MTBR reviews, each one of these gets 4.5 out of 5 chilis... harder to decide.

Thanks
    I would check out the XTR/XT......used should be the older versions which were bombproof.

mtbr member
    The "FR" at least in Marta FR stands for Free Ride. The only difference between the Marta and Marta FR is color, and between the these and SL is color and carbon lever.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Another vote for Magura! They make a great product and have customer service that is second to none!

mtbr member
    What's the adjustability like with the Marta levers? Can you adjust the pad to rotor and lever reach?

Front Range Cyclist
    Easy....any Magura brake out there right now.

-Best service
    -Best modulation
    -Lightweight
    -Leak free
    -Squeal free
    -Lots of power
    -Easy setup
    -Great lever feel.

Oh....and price wise it's a value too. MT2's hardly sacrifice anything for the price. MT8's are lightest, most relaible, powerful brakes you can get. Any other brand....pick 2 of those.

Plus just damn good interactions to be had with the Magura crew at any event you go to. Really nice, and you are often talking to the big shots. Not bad.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've been on Marta SL's for years and they are my favorite brake. Plenty of power, predictable response, and LIGHT.

mtbr member
    My SLs have a lever reach adjust. They do not have a pad to rotor bite adjust, but there are easy ways to influence the bite by cheating the pistons in or out.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    Until I get the correct caliper adapter - I'm currently running a new Magura MT6 on the front and 6 year old Marta on the rear. I can't tell the difference. To me means those Martas are pretty awesome. Only based on what I've read - the XTs would be an excellent option, but I test rode them and did not like the lever or servowave (nonlinear) feel. I like a full size, 2 finger lever and modulation is really important to me.

I am very curious about Formula brakes and may try them on my next build.
    M

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello "Thatshowiroll"

I would have to say that the new goods from us (the MT series) have better modulation than the older Martas and Louises but the old girls are great brakes and beautiful also.
    There are several options for affordability but all 4 levels of the MT's, the MT2, MT4, MT6 and MT8 are all designed for performance first. No cheap stuff here.
    Like you already noticed, The MT2 is the only option in our line that doesn't have an adjustable banjo fitting at the caliper (and two piece caliper) but all other MT's do have the adjustable banjo and one piece calipers.

Plus, We will try hard to keep you happy and on your bike!

Thanks for considering!
    Jude

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    Jude, what is the MTS? Seems exactly like MT6 but less expensive.
    M

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Motivated, You are correct that the "S" is just like the MT6 in that the caliper is the same caliper, one piece with an adjustable banjo fitting but the MC is a little different.
    The "S" uses the slightly heavier Carbotecture construction master cylinder VS the Carbotecture SL MC. Difference in weight due to a slightly bulkier MC which uses a shorter length carbon fibre vs the longer length fiber of the "SL" MC's and with that you need to add more material in order to achieve similar strength in construction.
    Function should be imperceptible.

ALso, The lever blade on the MT6-silver is a cast piece when the "S" has a folded alloy blade just like the previous Martas. (The MT6-black uses the same lever blade as the "S.")

Thanks for the question!
    Jude

MTBR Member
    You should really add a Hope brakeset to your list. Owning both MT8's and Hope Tech m4's, I know where my money would go.

If you go Magura, definitely go with the new MT series. Much better feel at the lever than the old Marta SL's.

mtbr member
    Nobody talking about the XT. Well XT's are cheap at about $100 a side and Ice Tech rotors are $96 shipped (180/160). Not sure about XTR levers. These brakes work great. period.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    Nobody talking about the XT. Well XT's are cheap at about $100 a side and Ice Tech rotors are $96 shipped (180/160). Not sure about XTR levers. These brakes work great. period.

Mark
    Regarding XT, where do you get those prices?

mtbr member
    Regarding XT, where do you get those prices?
    Look at Colorado Cycle for brakes and Blue Sky cycle for rotors.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    Look at Colorado Cycle for brakes and Blue Sky cycle for rotors.

Mark
    Must have been a sale because CC states $169.99.

Getting faster...

-Formula RX
    -Hayes Stroker Ace
    -Magura Marta SL

So I have a Cdale also for XC and agree the juicy 7s are not good.
    I replaced them with MT8s and 185f/160r SL rotors. They are much better in stopping and modulation. Can't say enough good about these brakes.
    In respect to your question, I would choose the Marta SL.
    I have a set of Marta SL and XT for perspective.
    I prefer the levers on my Marta for the longer XC rides, the Marta. is a lot easier to set up and maintain

Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Jensons has the m785 xt brakes @ 99 right now.. They are Oc-- but who cares.. you put them on-- size them and away you go.. Id rather save 70 bucks vs having a box .. Im surprised this is such a magura lovefest.. Everything i have always read about them is -- they are ok but not great.. Im running xt's right now and am very happy.. But might have to try out a set of magura's here one of these days-- sounds like they are worth a look at..

mtbr member
    Must have been a sale because CC states $169.99.
    Bike Brakes, Mountain Bike Brakes, Mountain Bike Disc Brakes, Hayes Disc Brakes, Bicycle Disc Brakes

$100 side now at BSC.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help. Due to ease of use and almost infinite adjustability, I went with 2012 XT. Brand new for $230 Cad.