jpt
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Help me chose brakes!

I can't decide what I want to do, I have Avid Single Digit 3's on my Giant NRS, and I an partialy happpy with them. I think I want to move up to disc, but this would require me to get a new wheelset. Right how I am looking at Avid mech's, Hayes HMX1's, Shimano Deore's, and a few other entry level systems. I also have looked at the Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes, but Im not sure about these because I have heard stories of powerful rim brakes bending the rim. Please give me in put!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt
    I can't decide what I want to do, I have Avid Single Digit 3's on my Giant NRS, and I an partialy happpy with them. I think I want to move up to disc, but this would require me to get a new wheelset. Right how I am looking at Avid mech's, Hayes HMX1's, Shimano Deore's, and a few other entry level systems. I also have looked at the Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes, but Im not sure about these because I have heard stories of powerful rim brakes bending the rim. Please give me in put!!!
    Used Avid, Shimano and Hayes.

Avid 185 on the front is nearly dangerous. More power than I can use, but they work unbelievably well. Same braking wet or dry and easily adjustable.

Shimano 515 on the rear, heavier than the Avid, not so happy in wet conditions as the Avid. But where the Avid is like a really sharp axe, the Deore is a scalpel. Stupid smooth modulation, and always has enough to lock up the rear, but smooth enough to lock and unlock at will.

The Avid will always have more braking power, but it can't match the Deore for modulation.

Hayes? They work wet or dry, they are light. They don't match the Avid for modulation, they can't match the Deore for power.

Read that carefully... It's not a typo.

A wheelist
    I also have looked at the Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes, but Im not sure about these because I have heard stories of powerful rim brakes bending the rim.

That's baloney. HS33s are great brakes that don't get the attention they once did because of disc brakes. They were the reason I started the Magura Cult site.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

There's no app for this.

yep and in a pinch

we filled a set on the 'shore (foolish visiting Toronto rider *rip*) with high quality CamelBak water and they actually worked well enough to get him outta the woods. Pretty amazing. So you can't get them to roll up the rim eh? Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    That's baloney. HS33s are great brakes that don't get the attention they once did because of disc brakes. They were the reason I started the Magura Cult site.
    I think there is a set of these (not sure which model though) on a bike at my LBS right now.

Guy there knows how to make them sing, and he likes them better than some of Maguras more recent offerings (plastic levers and such).

They have to be at least 7-8 years old, and they seem quite nice.

Kinda makes me wonder though, why did Magura go to all the trouble of designing a hydraulic rim brake when they already knew how to make hydraulic disc brakes, and could have introduced them to bicycles way back when.

jpt
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anyone else have some input???

Will work for gear

Not meaning to ape your thread but,

Anyone else have some input???
    What about Magura Julie's? I've seen them for around $100 new and wonder if these are any good. That they're hydros is about all I know about them and magura has a great rep. Not many reviews on them. Anyone have any info?
    Last edited by jakey; 03-22-2004 at 09:22 AM. Reason: I spell like a monkey

mtbr member

Which model?

If they are the current spec with a metal lever, then they are great.

I think the previous model has a plastic lever and generally had lotsa problems. My LBS has about 20 older style Julie sets laying about in various states of decay, all changed over under warranty. He wouldn't let me touch them, even for a laugh.

And this guy looooves Magura...

Will work for gear

This one.

Quote Originally Posted by Schtoojp
    If they are the current spec with a metal lever, then they are great.

I think the previous model has a plastic lever and generally had lotsa problems. My LBS has about 20 older style Julie sets laying about in various states of decay, all changed over under warranty. He wouldn't let me touch them, even for a laugh.

And this guy looooves Magura...
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...03&category=28

Doesn't say whether plastic or metal lever. Price is close enough to Avid Mechs to really make me think.

mtbr member
    Take a look. All the other Magura brakes show what levers they have with them, except the Julies.

I'd be asking questions and getting written garantees about what model they are myself...

Besides, if you buy Avid online, they are between $30(180mm)-$40(160mm) cheaper than those Julies, less levers and cables of course.

Will work for gear

If hydros are really less work,

Take a look. All the other Magura brakes show what levers they have with them, except the Julies.

I'd be asking questions and getting written garantees about what model they are myself...

Besides, if you buy Avid online, they are between $30(180mm)-$40(160mm) cheaper than those Julies, less levers and cables of course.
    then the $30-$40 is worth it. Besides I'll get a couple of bucks for my SD5's to offset the cost.

jpt
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Here are the the Julie's for $100 each, but it says "composite levers" and in my book that = plastic.

http://merchant.cboss.com/ProductDet...roductID=32579

mtbr member
    Here are the the Julie's for $100 each, but it says "composite levers" and in my book that = plastic.

http://merchant.cboss.com/ProductDet...roductID=32579

they are referring to the master cylinder resevoir, not the lever blades. i think

mtbr member

Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by magpie
    they are referring to the master cylinder resevoir, not the lever blades. i think
    It's the lever blades.

And IIRC it's not just the blades that are the problem. Seals or something else too...

Don't know for sure, don't have them, never tried them, not allowed to own them.

mtbr member
    It's the lever blades.

And IIRC it's not just the blades that are the problem. Seals or something else too...

Don't know for sure, don't have them, never tried them, not allowed to own them.
    what does this say?

"Composite brake lever (master) with matt silver anodized alloy 2-finger lever blade with reach adjust."
    this is from the ad the lever has to be aluminum to be anodized!
    Last edited by magpie; 03-22-2004 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    I went to there site and found out more about these brakes(Julies) I've also have had magura brakes and still do and they take very good care of their customers (seems to me)

mtbr member

I'm outta my depth here.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie
    I went to there site and found out more about these brakes(Julies) I've also have had magura brakes and still do and they take very good care of their customers (seems to me)
    I thought it was the levers that were plastic, it may well be that the levers are plastic on the not so good ones. These ones might be the good ones, and if you want hydros, go for them.

But I am *not* sure. If you need to make sure before you get them, find someone who is a MCM (Magura Cult Member) and find their site and ask there. They WILL shoot you straight, I can only speculate.

And Yes, Magura DO look after their customers really well. But you might be asking too much if you deliberately buy a lemon. Different story if you buy good ones, which these ones might well be.

Simple story, do your homeowrk thoroughly and you wont be disappointed. Unfortunately I can't tell you more than I *know*, sorry. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I've had good luck with the Julies.

I have both the Magura Julies and now the downhill Gustavs from Magura as well. I've rode the Julies for three yrs. hard and have had not one problem except snappin my lever in a crash. I'm 220 lbs and ride pretty aggressively and these brakes do a great job. I rode many days last yr. at Whistler with the Julies and after 9 runs they're still fine at the end of the day. I recently purchased the Gustav's for my big bike because the Julies aren't powerful enough for some of the freeride stuff, but for trail riding they're good. They have good modulation, no squeal, are cheap, comfy levers (aluminum version) and are backed by a good company. Gustavs are not cheap, no squeal, greatest modulation, comfy levers, and supapowafull.......nuff said.