mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Help me choose a hydro brake system (Elixer, Juicy7, Hope?)

I'm currently using BB7's with speed dials and so far, they haven't failed me. They tend to get noisy with a bit of mud on them, but no biggie. My biggest issue is cramping hands and lack of modulation. Trying to modulate them on a long decent is easy enough, but can be rough on the hands if it's too extensive. I plan to do a bit of lift access DH riding this summer, and I imagine that's where I'll run into issues. I mainly do normal trail riding, but it would be nice to be prepared. I started with the BB7's mainly because I got a full setup for cheap and the only hydros I could have afforded when doing my build were Juicy 3's or worse.

My main choices are: Elixer R's or CR's, Juicy Sevens, older Saints (M800 as they are a bit cheaper and the new ones are 4 pot, which is overkill) or maybe Hope Mini's. My first choice based on reviews/features are the CR's. I'd like to get the whole system, front and rear for around $350 or less. I have a lot of SRAM stuff on my bike already, so Avid is looking pretty tempting to keep with the theme, but I am definitely open to others.

Anyways, let me know your thoughts and suggestions. I'll likely make the purchase around the end of may or so.

mtbr member
    Add Formulas to the list. Look for a deal on K24's or Mega's. Also, Magura Louise's are in your price range as well. Take a look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've heard good things about formulas... and aren't louise's Maguras "budget" hydros?

mtbr member
    I had the Elixers on my bike for a little while and could not get the back one to stop making noise and vibrating but the stopping power and modulation was great. I now run the Hope Tech X2's and am in total love and a buddy runs the mini's and has great luck. One of the guys I ride with got the Hope Tech M4's and there is not lacking for stopping power and they feel great. It seems like for lift access the Hope Tech M4's would be the best choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Have you bled the Hope's yet? Ease of maintenance would be a huge plus too.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonism
    I've heard good things about formulas... and aren't louise's Maguras "budget" hydros?
    No. The Louise brakes are quite good.

mtbr member
    I have bled the Hopes and are the second easiest to bleed ( Shimano being the easiest ). And no you do not need the Hope bleed kit. I do like using a syringe like what comes in the Avid kit. I am the manager of the LBS so I do this type of thing all day long and think the Hope's are the best you can get. Hope this helped.

mtbr member
    I have heard good things about the Louise brakes as well. I personally do not like the feel of the lever but that is just me and says nothing bad about the brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yeah, I know a few people that swear by hope's stuff. Would you recommend the X2 or the V2 for all-mountain with some lift access thrown in? It doesn't really specify their purpose on the website and they are roughly the same price (expensive!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Actually.... crap. They're all out of stock at chainreaction and they are almost double the price at any distributor here in the states. At those prices, they are going to be out of my price range. I can't spend $650 just on brakes, lol.

mtbr member
    I've heard hayes are easy to bleed and they are for me. I bled them successfully the first time I ever tried to bleed a hydro system - with only a syring, rubber tubing, paper towels, and DOT3 no less.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Formula K24. Excellent modulation, awesome stopping power, pretty light.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Bike Cowboy
    I have heard good things about the Louise brakes as well. I personally do not like the feel of the lever but that is just me and says nothing bad about the brakes.
    I have the Louises BAT and I really dig them. I also think that the Elixir CR are pretty cool!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Juicy 7s vs. K24 I'll give the nod to K24s. On the power level the K24s feel slightly more powerful,though the J7s are far from under powered. But the modulation on the K24s feels so much more natural.

But in reality you're comparing excellent brakes and it's hard to define the best, its all about the user.

Oh and Formula K24 are $240 a set on bikewagon.com, cheapest I've seen them.

mtbr member
    I would say the V2's for lift access. the piston is larger and dissipates heat better in addition to giving more stopping power. I run the X2's myself and think they are great for all uses though. Hope that helps