banned

Help me choose a brake

I'm still confused by choices.

I am building a HARDTAIL freeride/aggressive XC.

I weigh 14st.

Brakes are more expensive in the UK, but Hope discs (cos they are British) are no more expensive than other brakes. Although Diatech Anchors and Shimano hydro Deore's are about half the cost of Hope's and Magura's, etc.

I was thinking of going with a Mono M4/Mono Mini rear. Then I thought about a full set of M4's with 180front and 160 rear. I can get a full set of M4's for about 2/3 the cost of a sey of Juicy's.

You think M4's are a good p[owerful brake? What worries me is the occassional post by Hope owners (usually mono mini owners) where they complain about insufficient power. It seems to me that modulation is great, but if modulation is just anotyher way of saying insufficient power, then I am not interested.

So... cheapie but still bling gold and black Diatech Anchors for £130 (F&R) or bling zing Hope M4's for £210 (F&R).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Modulation is how much control you get over varying levels of power through the stroke of the brake lever. Example:

on/off feel = bad modulation

gradual increase in power = Good modulation

Anyways, the M4 by Hope are a good brake from what I hear. You should definitely consider getting them. I don't know much about them because I'm using Shimano Saints and for me they are really good.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

-Ricko, mtbr member

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    cheap = hayes hfx 9
    awsome = juicy 7
    cool = hayes el camino s
    insane power = all the hopes
    me = THE coolest

Time is not a road.
    Kronik,

Have you looked at the Formula Oro brakes at all? A recent mag Mountain Bike Rider did a reveiw of like 15 different brake sets head to head. The Formula and Magura sets came out very well.

I've not seen Formula brakes here in the States, but I imagine you could get them there?

mtbr member

Just ordered my second set of Magura Louise

I have a set of Louise XC on my XC hardtail and will be putting Louise FR on my Santa Cruz Chameleon FR hardtail. Another bike has Magura HS33 hydro rim brakes. I've never had a problem with Magura products.

We have also had good luck with Avid Mechanical on two bikes but I like the feel of hydros much better.

Heck, when I think about it, my wife had an older Formula hydro disc on the front of her hardtail and the only reason we still do not use it is because she won a complete set of Avid Mechs and levers last year.

Fact is, whatever you pick will probably be excellent. There really are few, if any, bad disc brakes still being manufactured.

Good luck.

mtbr member

I don't disagree.....

If I lived in the UK I'd want Hope's also.

I was drawn to Hayes for much the same reasons you are to Hope but in the end, my excellent experience and the very, very good pricing I got moved me to Magura.