mtbr member
    Nov 2007

HELP! Magura Marta Mag Cylinder stuck

Having a strange issue with my Magura Marta Magnesiums that I need some help with.
    These are new brakes with only 5 or 6 rides on them. Initially they felt really good but after 2 or 3 rides I noticed that I had to pull the front lever a lot more to get braking power so I thought maybe it got air somehow and I proceeded to bleed the front brake.
    While bleeding, I noticed that after pushing and pulling the fluid a few times it seemed like a vacuum formed and if I pulled on the plunger on the bleeder, the fluid at the EBT side wasn't going down, when I released the plunger it would get sucked back down. Didn't think much of it at the time and just finished bleeding and put everything back together.
    After the bike sat over the weekend, the piston on the handle bar seems to be stuck down now. It is engaging the brakes to the point that the wheel will not roll freely but it is not locked either. on the handle bar side I can see that when I push on the lever, the piston is not coming back up(or it is coming back very very slowly). Tried to bleed the brakes again and once I push the brake lever in, the piston goes in and then stays there and I cannot push any fluid in until the piston comes back.
    Is there anything I can try before calling Magura and sending these in to get fixed?

LightJunction.com
    Do you feel comfortable disassembling the lever? (If you do) I'd start there. There could be a bad seal, burr on the piston, or something else going on. If it's anything more serious than a seal put in backwards/a little wonky from the factory, you're probably gonna have to order new parts or send it back to Magura.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

LightJunction.com
    I'd also verify there's no leaking brake fluid anywhere on the caliper or lever. And double check all the fittings to make sure they're properly tightened. If there's a vacuum leak/fluid leak anywhere, it could cause a problem with the piston moving...although, typically the piston still moves in the lever, it just doesn't affect the pressure at the caliper. Seems like an odd problem. Best of luck getting to the bottom of it.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah I think the brake is FUBARed. I disconnected the hose and removed the top cover. Even then when I press the handle to push the piston in the piston comes back out very very slowly.
    I think its time to see how good Magura's warranty is.

Anyone know how to contact Magura? These brakes were purchased online.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    Do you feel comfortable disassembling the lever? (If you do) I'd start there.
    I could be wrong about the Mags, but I'm pretty sure the first generation Martas were NOT user serviceable, as far as master cylinder goes... I can't see how anything would be different in case of secong generation Martas. I own Marta Mags myself, so I'd be interested to know if I'm wrong.
    If I am right though, I'd recommend NOT fcuking with it yourself, and definitely contact Magura, they have helped me me out with my old Martas before.

Arek