mtbr member

Help with Juicy 7 brakes.

Have had Juicy 7s for about 4 months now. Rear brake now however does not engage until very close to handle and is a bit weak as well. Front brake is just fine. Have used the brake pad adjuster (little red knob on brake) as far as possible but still is not where I would like it. Had LBS look at brake pads and was told they looked fine.

Any idea what is going on? Do I need to "bleed" my brakes? And what the heck does bleeding brakes mean...sorry i am clueless. Could it be the pads?

Thanks for advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    search and ye will find

Calm Like a Bomb
    u definitely need a bleed...surprised your lbs didn't tell u that...u will need a bleed kit...take a look at the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mg6NbIjmOM&NR=1
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    just wondering if my meager skills will suffice to do this. Maybe I hit Slocaus up for some help. He seems like he would be a good partner in crime in this!.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Do not only use the video mentioned above as your only reference. My roommate and I spent 3 frustrating hours trying to use the above video to bleed my juicy's and had to finally had to break down and read the manual that came with the bleed kit. After reading and actually following the right instructions my brakes are fantastic. The gentleman in the video leaves out some very important steps to bleeding the brakes. The most important is the final step which requires rotating the brake lever to 90 degrees before removing the syringe. Also he does not mention topping off with break fluid before re installing the screw into the lever. This makes a huge difference in the bleed performance. Trust me, use this guy as a basic visual aid, but read the instructions and you will have great brakes.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by ddj8052
    Do not only use the video mentioned above as your only reference. My roommate and I spent 3 frustrating hours trying to use the above video to bleed my juicy's and had to finally had to break down and read the manual that came with the bleed kit. After reading and actually following the right instructions my brakes are fantastic. The gentleman in the video leaves out some very important steps to bleeding the brakes. The most important is the final step which requires rotating the brake lever to 90 degrees before removing the syringe. Also he does not mention topping off with break fluid before re installing the screw into the lever. This makes a huge difference in the bleed performance. Trust me, use this guy as a basic visual aid, but read the instructions and you will have great brakes.

the video works spot on..the gentleman in the video is HB who is pretty much THE SRAM guy...as for rotating the lever 90* before removing the syring that all depends how fast u can remove the syring and reattach the bleed screw...u may get very minimal leakage which won't affect the bleed...as for toping it off....if u push the fluid in and clamp as mentioned in the video, this crams as much fluid in as the lever will handle
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    the video works spot on..the gentleman in the video is HB who is pretty much THE SRAM guy...as for rotating the lever 90* before removing the syring that all depends how fast u can remove the syring and reattach the bleed screw...u may get very minimal leakage which won't affect the bleed...as for toping it off....if u push the fluid in and clamp as mentioned in the video, this crams as much fluid in as the lever will handle

He may be the Scram guy, that does not change the fact that they wrote the instruction manual the way they did for a reason. It makes a huge diffrence to do it the right way per the instruction manual. If it is really inconvinient to take the extra 5 mins to do it right, that is up to you. But the OP may want to know that the video is missing some steps and there is a correct way of doing the job.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by ddj8052
    He may be the Scram guy, that does not change the fact that they wrote the instruction manual the way they did for a reason. It makes a huge diffrence to do it the right way per the instruction manual. If it is really inconvinient to take the extra 5 mins to do it right, that is up to you. But the OP may want to know that the video is missing some steps and there is a correct way of doing the job.
    the video and the manual are both correct....i've bled more avid brakes than most and have not had any difficulties using the intructions in the video or in the manual...u are correct though that the op may not able to follow the video and may be better off using the manual until he is more experienced with bleeding them...i suspect the same with u...also, take a look at the '09 bleed procedures...they are different than any of the other manuals...there are a few different ways to bleed the same set of brakes...
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)