Come see me after class
    Dec 2005

Help! Hope M4 disc won't fit on Fox F80X... *PICS*

Bear with me, I'm a disc brake n00b.

I bought these brakes off eBay:

They're Hope M4 #6 and the guy listed them as MTB front brakes. He included the rotor which measures 8in across. The lever seems to be a rear (right-hand) but the guy insists that they came directly off the front of his bike. (I didn't realize this until after I received the brakes.) If they were mounted for the fronts (left-hand), the master cylinder would be upside down. Can they be mounted this way?

If so, then why doesn't it fit on my '05 Fox F80X?

Do I need an adapter bracket? If I mount the caliper on the inner face of the fork's caliper mounts, the caliper hits the spokes. If I mount it on the outer face, well it's just way off. What am I doing wrong?

Was I scammed and sold different parts? Can the rear(?) lever even be used on the front? Are these even MTB brakes?

I tried Googling for pics but couldn't find very many...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Which caliper it is connected to is what makes a lever "front" or "rear", not which side of the bars it is on. Many riders run a right/front, left/rear setup.

It appears you are trying to mount a caliper for a 20mm through-axle DH/FR fork on an XC fork. The lateral spacing for the caliper is different.

Also, Fox will tell you not to use an 8"/203mm rotor on your fork.

There are no adaptors that will make this combo work. You need a different brake.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Well, that takes care of that. I've always sworn by V-brakes for XC riding, but couldn't pass up the deal on the disc brake setup. I didn't pay too much for it, but I guess $2 would still be too much if I can't even use it. Anyway, my XT V's are a helluva lot lighter than these hydraulics.

So, my next question: What is this Hope M4 caliper/lever worth?

Meh.
    Shiggy seems to have covered it all.

I'd say it's worth 80 to 100 bucks.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    $85 shipped. Anybody want it?