mtbr member

Help with Hope brake diagnosis

The brakes are Hope Mono Mini.

I noticed yesterday, the front brake seemed partially closed, meaning there was much shorter lever throw needed to activate the brakes (they were actually rubbing a little). Also, the lever stays in a halfway position, so that I can push it forward to full open, but it springs back to half way.

I tried prying the brake pads apart, but they went back to the partially closed position when I started riding again.

My ride yesterday started with a long downhill, so I thought it might be fluid expansion from brake heat, but the brakes are still the same now that everything is cooled off.

I haven't done anything new to the brakes, so it's odd this would just start happening out of the blue. I last bled them about a year ago.

mtbr member
    Come on you brake experts! any ideas?

mtbr member
    I thought this would be an easy question for one of the gurus around here.
    I guess I'll just bleed it and see if that helps.

human dehumidifier
    Have you pulled the caliper yet to clean around the piston/seal area?
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    I haven't done anything yet. I suppose that's a good suggestion to start with before I drain it.

human dehumidifier
    Yeah I'd go ahead and pull the caliper and monkey with it some to try and figure it out before going too far You might even be able to isolate the problem to being in the caliper, the line, or the lever. Another thought is if the master cylinder cap seal swells it could be pushing fluid in to the system. (I've got the same kind of problem with a set of Elixir CRs, I'll be riding along and the brakes apply themselves. Nice.)
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

Never enough time to ride
    You might also try flushing the system with new fluid. Other wise it sounds like you may need a master cylinder rebuild.

Happy trails...

Squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Likely that you need to rebuild the brakes.
    Any squeaking or dry seal sound when pulling the lever?
    Usually lever travel problems + lever sticking in Hopes means trouble in the lever MC.
    You can clean around the caliper pistons easily, but if there is a problem at the lever it will still be there after cleaning up the caliper and pistons.
    Hopes are easy to pull apart, clean, and rebuild, so dive in.
    If you know how to bleed brakes, you can pull apart the MC and clean it and the seals, clean the pistons, and put the brake back together, and bleed it and see if the problem persists.
    Dry seals can sometimes be fixed with a cleaning and application of brake fluid before being put back together.
    If you see any sign of leaking around the lever, you'll need to replace seals and rebuild the brakes.

mtbr member
    There hasn't been any squeaking or leaks.
    I got some good advice here. I'll be fiddling with these brakes this weekend and will post what happens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    You can clean around the caliper pistons easily, but if there is a problem at the lever it will still be there after cleaning up the caliper and pistons*********************l/lce6Z[/img]
    Hopes are easy to pull apart, clean, and rebuild, so dive in.

mtbr member
    Well, I almost don't want to post this, because I might get the stupid post of the year award. After reviewing my manual and youtube videos for brake bleeding and disassembly etc. I went to get started on the job of figuring out this problem.
    I recently changed my grip and and adjusted my handlebar rotation, and today I noticed my grip shifter was pushed up against the base of the brake lever, which pushed lever inward a bit so the brakes were partially closed. Problem solved

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    THose are the best kind of fixes. I love love love my Hope brakes (my wife and I have 4 sets between us). That said, I do find they work best when they are fully torn down and rebuilt with new seals every other year (annually would be better, but I have a hard enough time keeping up on maintenance of 9 bikes). Seal kits from Wiggle and CRC are dirt cheap.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    THose are the best kind of fixes. I love love love my Hope brakes (my wife and I have 4 sets between us). That said, I do find they work best when they are fully torn down and rebuilt with new seals every other year (annually would be better, but I have a hard enough time keeping up on maintenance of 9 bikes). Seal kits from Wiggle and CRC are dirt cheap.
    Anyone get a tutorial on how to do that with the Tech levers?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    There is a 2006 thread in this forum on the mini levers. I don't know how much different they are than the Techs.