mtbr member
    Jun 2007

HELP! having problems with 07 juicy sevens

baisicaly my juicy 7s are rubing lots when im riding, BUT when the bike is in the stand the brakes dont rub at all! and there is equal space between both pads and the disk, also the rubbing only happens at a certain speed generaly between about 12 and 15 mph, which is my normal flat and uphill speed so is very anoying! have tried setting the brakes up dozens of times with slightly different spacing, contacted avid and they just said to check the torque on all the bolts and it may possibly need a re-bleed as the pistons may not be retracting enough, tried all of that and there is plenty of clearance between the pads. if i dont get it sorted soon im going to have to get some different brakes, its just not worth the hasstle and its ruining the fun of riding!

Any help would be greatly apreciated
    cheers
    Adam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Heason
    baisicaly my juicy 7s are rubing lots when im riding, BUT when the bike is in the stand the brakes dont rub at all! and there is equal space between both pads and the disk, also the rubbing only happens at a certain speed generaly between about 12 and 15 mph, which is my normal flat and uphill speed so is very anoying! have tried setting the brakes up dozens of times with slightly different spacing, contacted avid and they just said to check the torque on all the bolts and it may possibly need a re-bleed as the pistons may not be retracting enough, tried all of that and there is plenty of clearance between the pads. if i dont get it sorted soon im going to have to get some different brakes, its just not worth the hasstle and its ruining the fun of riding!

Any help would be greatly apreciated
    cheers
    Adam
    Do you have play in your hub bearings?

thecentralscrutinizer
    Slightly loose skewer?
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5, custom build
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    bearings cant be the problem, they are hope hubs, axel is fine as well.
    qr was the first thing i checked.

any more ideas welcome

Meh.
    Sealed cartridge bearings can still develop slop. Being a Hope does not mean anything. I've had to tighten up Kings before.

It's either play in the hubs or pivots. Wheel shifting in the dropouts. Or flex in the frame/fork.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i have the exact same problem with my '07 set of Juicy 7s
    annoying rubbing/chirping noise only when i'm riding at that certain aforementioned speed

i doubt it has anything to do with the pivot/axle/bearing slop, i suspect it's something in the calipers (both brakes do it, front and rear)

i've been too busy/lazy to do anything about it, as the brakes still function perfectly well
    however, my patience is wearing thin..

please let me know if you come up with a fix for this, and I'll do the same of course.

f.y.i. I have zero issues with an '06 set of Juicy 7s that i've been running hard for over a year.

Meh.
    I've got 3 sets of J7s right now. 2004, 2005, and 2007. I have not had ANY issues with the 2007. I run a 20mm TA Pike up front and a 10mm bolt-on rear with an uber-stiff frame. Hadley hubs front and rear. Ran Diatech hubs before the Hadleys.

I don't see how speed would be affecting the caliper or piston position. Going faster does not move the caliper, nor does it push any more fluid which would be extending the pistons. It either isn't centered properly, the rotor is warped (most are slightly warped out of the box), something is loose, something is flexing, or it doesn't have a good bleed.

Going out on a limb... Stretch out those H-springs a little bit to make sure the pads aren't rattling...

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    I hear you man.. it puzzles the sh!t out of me as well... i've checked and rechecked everything, bleed, torques, rotors, etc... Still does it. Only when you ride at a certain speed. I wish you were around so I can let you see for yourself. It's a dumb problem really, as the brakes work very well otherwise.

I run this problem set of J7s on a hardtail. 36Van up front, HALO Sas wheels, and a super burly frame. Flex is nonexistent on this thing.

Good call on spreading the spring a little bit, I totally spaced on that... sometimes the easiest solution is the right one eh?

I'll try tonight..

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I've got 3 sets of J7s right now. 2004, 2005, and 2007. I have not had ANY issues with the 2007. I run a 20mm TA Pike up front and a 10mm bolt-on rear with an uber-stiff frame. Hadley hubs front and rear. Ran Diatech hubs before the Hadleys.

I don't see how speed would be affecting the caliper or piston position. Going faster does not move the caliper, nor does it push any more fluid which would be extending the pistons. It either isn't centered properly, the rotor is warped (most are slightly warped out of the box), something is loose, something is flexing, or it doesn't have a good bleed.

Going out on a limb... Stretch out those H-springs a little bit to make sure the pads aren't rattling...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Adam,
    I had all kinds of problems with my set. First off I think I got the first year model. I read here that Avid screwed up and made the caliper mount to close to the OD of the rotor so I used a set of 1/32"(not sure of that thickness) washers to space them up.
    The damn pads made all kinds of noise, drove me crazy, so I got some EBC pads put them on and no noise problems.
    When I originally got the brakes they were pre bleed. I noticed that in the stand in my cool basement they were fine. Put the bike in the back of my pickup on a black rubber mat on a 80 degree day and the pistons would expand locking up the wheel. So back to the basement, in the stand we go. What I did was remove the caliper, get the master cylinder bleed screw at the highest point, crack the bleed screw and proceed to push the pistons in. A little fluid came out, wiped it up and and tightened the bleed screw.
    Since then everything has been fine, I only have 2 rides on them since then. I hope I finally nailed this down as I actually went out and bought some El Camino's to replace them.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FG_NewYork
    Adam,
    I had all kinds of problems with my set. First off I think I got the first year model. I read here that Avid screwed up and made the caliper mount to close to the OD of the rotor so I used a set of 1/32"(not sure of that thickness) washers to space them up.
    The damn pads made all kinds of noise, drove me crazy, so I got some EBC pads put them on and no noise problems.
    When I originally got the brakes they were pre bleed. I noticed that in the stand in my cool basement they were fine. Put the bike in the back of my pickup on a black rubber mat on a 80 degree day and the pistons would expand locking up the wheel. So back to the basement, in the stand we go. What I did was remove the caliper, get the master cylinder bleed screw at the highest point, crack the bleed screw and proceed to push the pistons in. A little fluid came out, wiped it up and and tightened the bleed screw.
    Since then everything has been fine, I only have 2 rides on them since then. I hope I finally nailed this down as I actually went out and bought some El Camino's to replace them.
    First gen J7 had a black resi cap and split clamp. It was not an issue with the caliper, more with the rotors. And yes, it sounds like your system was overfilled.

Ha. Good luck with the El Caminos. Terrible build quality. And the fluid capacity is tiny. That system heats up quickly and fades significantly.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by blender
    I hear you man.. it puzzles the sh!t out of me as well... i've checked and rechecked everything, bleed, torques, rotors, etc... Still does it. Only when you ride at a certain speed. I wish you were around so I can let you see for yourself. It's a dumb problem really, as the brakes work very well otherwise.

I run this problem set of J7s on a hardtail. 36Van up front, HALO Sas wheels, and a super burly frame. Flex is nonexistent on this thing.

Good call on spreading the spring a little bit, I totally spaced on that... sometimes the easiest solution is the right one eh?

I'll try tonight..
    With my Halos, I had to use the adapters to run 20mm. My adapters had a little bit of play in them because they don't snap in, they just sit there. So I think I had to shim it out a little bit. I can't remember... I know I replaced the bearings at one point...

You should convert the rear to a bolt-on. It makes a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    had my hope xc hub apart yesterday and although you cant feel any play when its all instaled as soon as i had the bearings out you could feel about 0.5mm of movement from the center, so im guessing that as soon as i hit a certain speed the force pulled it into a slightly different track. have ordered a hope pro 2 hub now anyway so hopefully it will arrive today! ill let you know how i get on! if this doesnt work in going to swap the juicys for some hope mono m4s i work in a bike shop so luckily a will still be able to do this even tho its been 3 months!

cheers for all the help and ideas, im glad im not the only one having this problem!

ad