mtbr member

Help getting brakes adjusted

Recently the my front disk brake (tektro IO if it matters) started rubbing the pad on the rotor. The outer pad that moves and is adjusted by the cable is the one that is dragging. I have the barrel adjusters screwed in all the way to try and get it to stop, and I loosened the caliper bolts and tightened them while pulling the lever, still drags. Is my next step to loosen the cable clamp bolt and lower the tension on the cable?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sounds like you may have tweaked the rotor. Check out some vids to see how to true it.

Google

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it was a bent rotor because it contacted the pad all the way around, not just in one spot. I did successfully loosen the cable ever so slightly and that gave me just enough room to get it to quit rubbing, so I am good to go. Not sure how it got that way since its been going strong since '06, but its working fine now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it was a bent rotor because it contacted the pad all the way around, not just in one spot. I did successfully loosen the cable ever so slightly and that gave me just enough room to get it to quit rubbing, so I am good to go. Not sure how it got that way since its been going strong since '06, but its working fine now.
    Is it possible the wheel is not in its normal position? Sometimes when the front wheel gets put on to the fork, the wheel is a bit skewed.

With the weight of the bike on the ground, release the quick release lever and insure the wheel is in the fork "square". Tighten the quick release. Now, hopefully the brake's outer pad will not be rubbing. If it is, then you can start checking the alignment of the caliper to the rotor.

Good luck with that. Post back what you find.