'All over it!'

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Help with formula ORO K18 bleed....please....

So I have my avid bleed kit, degassed the syringes as demostrated on the sramtech (youtube) demo and all is well.

Connect the syringes and tie the lever as shown, and all is well.

Bleed the caliper as shown and all is well.

Pass the DOT 5.1 liquid from the bottom syring to the top - nothing.

Can anybody tell me what the hell is going wrong as the bottom syringe stays solid and no amount of pressure will force the liquid to the top syringe as per the demo.

Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated as my bleed is poop and really

Many thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    pretty obvious, but i'll ask anyway - did you release the lever after bleeding the caliper?

'All over it!'
    yes, released the caliper. Would the diameter of the pad spacer make any difference? i.e. restricting flow? I have wrecked my brains thinking about this and the only thing I have done different is use a slightly wider pad spacer....

mtbr member
    the pad spacer shouldn't make a difference.
    another stupid question - are both syringes unclamped?

'All over it!'
    Yes both syringes are unclamped but still the bottom one is rock solid and no amount will force fluid through to the top. I am wrong for trying to bleed formula brakes in the same way as avids?

banned
    The should bleed the same.

'All over it!'
    Hey JC, I was kind of hoping you would see this thread as I know you are the brake guru. Any ideas, I really can't work it out.

banned
    Sounds strange. How about pumping the lever with everything in place? I wouldn't think the pistons would cause any problems. Generally, it could just be something like air lock, or hell, even the fittings can block the ports off. You never know if they threaded in too deep.

I had this issue and would sometimes pump from the lever down also. I kind of attributed it to airlock, making is really tough to get through.

'All over it!'
    I will give it another bash today and post back later.

'All over it!'
    Tried again today and have a perfect bleed. There were many air locks within the system which caused the problems. Each brake took around 20 minutes to bleed but now have great brakes. Many thanks to you all.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Can somebody describe the bleeding process in simple steps please?

I try to bleed my Formula K24s with no luck... I don't get the "pull the lever" step... I think I do this in the wrong way. I have repeatedly read the instructions off the Formula site with no luck.

My brakes work ok but they under-perform seriously...