mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Help a fat guy stop better

I'm new to this forum so if this has already been asked or posted I'm sorry.
    I have a 2006 Gary Fisher Parana which is still all stock components. I would like to upgrade the stock cable discs to a newer hydraulic setup. The 09 Parana has the Shimano M486 hydraulic disc brakes and I am wondering if this would be a direct bolt on conversion or if I would have to change other components? Or are there other setup's that might work better? I appreciate the help!

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Those Shimano's will more likely stop better than the cable discs you have on there now. If you want to stop now under control in any sort of conditions or distance you can dream of, I have one word for you. Codes. They are a tad grabby, and very heavy (but who cares), but if you weigh a decent amount, the modulation won't matter as much as if you were lighter, and they will stop you on a dime. I weight 240 naked and the Codes are plenty even on DH runs.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm just curious of the shimano's would be a direct bolt on, or if there would be some mods required or if they would even fit...

mtbr member
    stop being lazy and read the stickies and this

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    stop being lazy and read the stickies and this
    Um, maybe he didn't know where to find it. In case you hadn't noticed, he's only posted to the forum twice. Stop being a jerk and give the guy a break. I doubt he was being lazy unless not knowing where something is or not even knowing it exists is being lazy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat guy on a fisher
    I'm just curious of the shimano's would be a direct bolt on, or if there would be some mods required or if they would even fit...
    There are adapters that you can purchase if need be. You're going to have to identify what forks you have and if the braking system you want to put on will require an adapter. After that, there are tons of places to purchase adapters. For technical assistance give Hayes/Manitou a call at 888-686-3472. They should be able to help you out.
    Last edited by rosborn; 08-24-2009 at 03:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for all the info! That should be what I needed! I appreciate the help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well I am not sure if they are very good, but I ordered up some Avid Juicy 5's today... I know the 7's are probably better, but since I am going from a cable disc to a hydraulic, I'm guessing it will still be an improvement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat guy on a fisher
    Well I am not sure if they are very good, but I ordered up some Avid Juicy 5's today... I know the 7's are probably better, but since I am going from a cable disc to a hydraulic, I'm guessing it will still be an improvement.
    Here is the info I received from Manitou -

74mm post mount.

Shanan Barth | Warranty & Technical Support

Ph: 888.686.3472 | Fax: 414.462.0214
    6750 W Florist Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53218