mtbr member

Help! Dumb Disc Rub Question

I know a little about bike maintenance, but disc brakes are still kind of foreign to me.

Long story, but had an epic crash that put my wheel a little bit out of true. Ever since, my disc (Juicy 5) is rubbing at one spot. I've readjusted the caliper several times and have minimized the rub, but not eliminated it. I think the warp is enough that it can't be eliminated. It rubs enough that there's a little (tiny bit of) added friction when I ride.

Here's the question: Do I need to get the disc trued separately from the wheel (DT Swiss E540), or will truing the wheel take care of the slight wobble in the disc? If not, can a warped disc be corrected or do I need to get a replacement?

I know this question may seem ridiculously simple minded, but I'm hoping someone here can provide some guidance. Like everything, I want to correct this issue as soon as possible. I'm one of those guys who can't stand having anything not just right with my bike.

Thanks for your help.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Calm Like a Bomb
    having at wheel out of true will not cause the disc to rub/wobble....the disc is attached to the hub after all....u may have bent your rotor a bit in your crash...but first i would try to center the caliper again by inserting a business card between the rotor and the pad on the side/spot it's rubbing, loosen the cps bolts, squeeze the lever a few times, keep the lever squeezed and tighten the cps bolts in an alternating pattern....if the rotor is bent, then u can bend it back a bit..here's how:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=125
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member

Thanks

Hey, thanks!

I have already tried the Biz Card trick and I'm certain I have realigned the caliper as best as it can be. Thanks for confirming that the rotor is independent of the wheel. I appreciate your help.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Calm Like a Bomb
    no problem....if your rotor isn't bent then u could also try resetting your pistons
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If it's a Round Graden type rotor, just replace it with a G2 or G3 series. If its a G2 or G3 then try truing it. A cresent wrench (Adj Jaw) will work, but I find the Park tool is better.

Also, for fine a adj, bend at very little increments at the base of the rotor arm. What seems like no bend is enough to true it up.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.