mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Help, disc brakes not stopping well. Adjustments needed?

Forgive my newbie questions but I did search and am still not sure what's wrong. Bike is a Scott scale 950. Rear disc brake are not working well. I can almost squeeze the lever to the handlebar and it won't even lock up the tire, at any speed. In fact it barely slowed me down. Honestly it felt like brake fade but they werent even warm. Had the bike for several months and a few rides. If it matters, I did just recently wash and lube the bike as it was the dirtiest (and very muddy) its ever been. And no, I don't think I got any lube on the brake components, ha. Are there any adjustments that are needed? Pads worn down? Thanks

mtbr member

Re: Help, disc brakes not stopping well. Adjustments needed?

Not sure off hand what brakes, Mech or hydraulic disc?

If its Mech should be simple Allen or torques head bolts you "tighten" which will move pads inwards. Some lower line mechanicals u can adjust inboard pad this way but have to adjust cable to move outboard pad in.

Also might not be a bad idea to clean rotor with rubbing alcohol. But when u wash ur bike brakes won't have full grab right away but after a ride they should be back to normal.

As for hydraulic, not very knowledgeable on those yet so hopefully someone with expertise on those will chime in as i don't want to accidently refer you to the wrong thing.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Pads worn down?
    Have a look at them, you'll be able to if they're worn down.

mtbr member

Help, disc brakes not stopping well. Adjustments needed?

I believe your bike has entry level Shimano hydraulics. Something like the BR-M445's? In that case, if the lever goes almost all the way to the bar(which it very well shouldn't) you're definitely in need of a brake bleed. Take it to your LBS and have them confirm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

mtbr member
    yup sounds like you have br446 hydros. did this slowly happen over time? if so pad wear could be the cause, have a look at them. if there is less than 1mm of brake pad "material" then you need some new pads which your LBS will help you out with. if there is sufficeint pad material then you need a brake bleed, which your LBS can help you out with as well. Also know that if it happened suddenly and you do need a brake bleed that you may possibly have a bad seal in your system somewhere that finally gave up, or you have a loose connection somewhere that sucked air.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ok thanks guys. yes they are hydraulic discs. i will take it to where it was purchased, REI. would you expect this to be a warranty item, assuming its not just worn pads? the bike is about 8 months old

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Possibly, if parts/components are defective.
    Regards