Born on 2 Wheels

New question here. Help Deciding on New Disc Brakes Juicys? Hope Mono Minis?

Hey, I currently have Avid Mechanicals on my bike and I've had them for about 1 year and I just dont like them that much my rear i cant get the ching ching noise to stop and it rubs and i just dont like how they feel when braking. So I've decided to get hydros my brother keeps telling me that there a pain in the ass and never seem to work properly. But some of these new brakes seem to have the problems tweeked out of them. Im looking for a hydraulic disc brake that is reliable, not high maintinence, durable, and quiet. The avid juicys seem to be what im looking for with the adjustibility that they have and seem to not have any problems other than being to close to the wheel and spokes. The Hope mono minis are another choise dont know how good they are but seem to have leaking problems. And the XTR are another option but you have to bleed them and get your own levers and i dont have any expierience with this because i ve never own hydraulic brakes. Could someone please help me out. Are any of these brakes good? has anyone used them? how good are they? any other good brakes that i should consider?

Thanks a bunch-
    Sam

RIDE HARD
    "Shut up and Ride"

Santa Cruz Heckler Ano Silver "Silver Bullet"
    Fox DHX 5.0
    Fox Vanilla 130 R
    AWSOME!

Born on 2 Wheels
    anybody? please i need your help!
    Thanks-
    Sam
    "Shut up and Ride"

Santa Cruz Heckler Ano Silver "Silver Bullet"
    Fox DHX 5.0
    Fox Vanilla 130 R
    AWSOME!

Still chuggin' along
    Hi Sam,

Well, there's a lot of really good info over on the Turner board about both of those brake sets. You'll find benefits to both and based on what is more important to you, that'll probably make the decision.

I have the Juicys right now and I've got the ching, ching on my front rotor like you. I had a polygon rotor that started giving me some trouble about 50 miles into their use so Avid sent me a round rotor and now that one is a little off with even fewer miles on it (maybe 20). Their quality control seems to be lacking which is unfortunate b/c the setup is soooo easy and the lever feel, reach adjustment and modulation are great. I hope in their next batch of releases Avid gets this taken care of b/c its really annoying and it shouldn't be happening.

I had Hayes HFX Mags before and they were a one time setup. In the 18 months I had them, they NEVER once had any issues until the bladder leaked. All I had to do was change the pads and I was set. I didn't like the on/off feel of them though so that's why I wanted to try the Juicys. I was also considering the Mono Minis but since I had already felt the lever action of the Juicys and no one around me had the Monos, I decided to go with the Juicys. Plus, the bike shops around here have more Avid parts than Hope parts. That also might be something to consider.

Anyway, I guess I wasn't much of a help but maybe its something to start with.
    Good Luck!
    [size=3]Make Everyday your Masterpiece - [/size][size=3][size=2][size=1]George Michael[/size] [/size][/size]

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by NRSDude
    anybody? please i need your help!
    Thanks-
    Sam
    Why not consider Magura's?
    I've had a set of last years Marta's on my enduro for over a year, just changed pads, first time, last week.
    I've used them @ Mamoth mountain bike park & lots of local So. Cal. trail rides.
    Had to bleed the rear when I installed longer line on the enduro, absolutely no other issues. Very light, & quiet.( they don't howl like my xt's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My Juicys were as simple as bolt and ride.

Hey, I currently have Avid Mechanicals on my bike and I've had them for about 1 year and I just dont like them that much my rear i cant get the ching ching noise to stop and it rubs and i just dont like how they feel when braking. So I've decided to get hydros my brother keeps telling me that there a pain in the ass and never seem to work properly. But some of these new brakes seem to have the problems tweeked out of them. Im looking for a hydraulic disc brake that is reliable, not high maintinence, durable, and quiet. The avid juicys seem to be what im looking for with the adjustibility that they have and seem to not have any problems other than being to close to the wheel and spokes. The Hope mono minis are another choise dont know how good they are but seem to have leaking problems. And the XTR are another option but you have to bleed them and get your own levers and i dont have any expierience with this because i ve never own hydraulic brakes. Could someone please help me out. Are any of these brakes good? has anyone used them? how good are they? any other good brakes that i should consider?

Thanks a bunch-
    Sam

RIDE HARD
    They made a little noise for the first ride but have long since quieted down and deliver strong, easy to modulate braking. I've also tried Hayes and was very dissapointed. The pads glazed up and lost power and the brakes scream bloody murder.

Raven1
    May 2004

XT Disc

I am on my 3rd season (all year long here) and am having good performance from Shimano XT's. I have them on a Superlight. They are quiet, reliable and easy to service. I did a complete tear-down this winter and had no problem servicing the hydrolic's. The only problem I did have was finding the special mineral fluid made by Shimano. (123Bikes.com)
    Like most Shimano stuff these brakes just perform. No fuss.
    Light, Cheap or Strong. Pick Two.

Do It Yourself
    I just recently switched from Magura Martas to the new 2004 version Magura Louise XCs. What prompted the switch was getting a Manitou_Minute fork with post mount brake tabs. Instead of getting a new Marta caliper, I opted for the Louise. The Martas were good but the Louise are definitely a step up in performance with larger pad/rotor interface and more solid levers. Same outstanding Magura customer service and smooth modulation but with more power. The older Louise weren't really noteworthy but this new version is sweet. Louise now has one piece caliper and wavy rotors like the Martas but MUCH less expensive. I bought mine direct from Magura but there are some crazy deals on these on eBay (less than half price).

just along for the ride
    All are fine its just what you want to service. Dot fluid is nasty but works well as long as you change your dot and don't get any on anything. Mineral Oil is a bit nicer but don't cook it. Key is brakes that are easy to use and last, so moving from Avid mechanicals expect a learning curve but enjoy the ride. Once set up hydo is the only way to go!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks a bunch-
    Sam

RIDE HARD
    Hi Sam,
    after a few years of riding various Hope set ups, E4/M4/Mini/Mono4 and Hayes Mags I've just had my first ride on a set of Juicy 7's. Wow I am impressed.
    Very easy to fit with the usual Avid system, I haven't cut down the hoses yet I intend to do that tomorrow. They have just done about 12 miles or so now and they bedded in pretty quickly to give good stopping power, but they got better and better as far as power goes with more stops but that is only to be expected.
    What I didn't expect was that I haven't missed my 8" Hayes front rotor! The power is very nearly the same and this is from a 6" rotor, the modulation is superb-the best I've ever used, the red pad adjuster is a nice feature too something you won't miss till you try it. No problems with vibration-these are the newer shape rotor seen in the latest adds, both rotors are true with no ching/ching catching noises. I had a little noise after a two to three mile section with little braking and a fair amount of dust, one decent stop and they were quiet again. No problems with fade or control on techy decents. The levers seem to have a big range of reach adjustment too so it's easy to set them up just so and they are a nice comfy shape.

I haven't tried the Mono Mini but have owned the Mono4 while they are very nice I believe the Avids are an improvement, it's early days yet but if they stay reliable then they are for sure worth the extra cash imo.

mtbr remember
    Paul5s - What did you do with your Hope MonoM4 setup?
    Hayes are excellent from a "set and forget" and durability standpoint. If your just getting into hydros I would higly recommend them- they are a good point to start from. I think they have decent modulation and feel too. Hayes parts are going to be the easiest to find out of all hydros.
    I personally wouldn't buy brakes that use mineral oil(although I did like the old XT 4pots, and some swear by it- Just not my thing) Dot fluid is for real brakes, why do you think MotoGP, MX, supermotard, etc. uses it? It may be corrosive on paint and pads, just don't (or try) not to be messy when bleeding.
    Hope monos have excellent feel and modulation, and quality too, although you always hear of the "one" that got through quality control, and parts at an LBS will be scarce.
    The Juicys are sweet, although I've only ridden them in a parking lot- feel and modulation was great, but I have no clue about fade, and setup sounds incredibly easy.
    Check out Grimeca too. I have no experience, but I believe they made the old XT and Sram brakes. I have heard both excellent and horrible stories about them, your choice.
    If you have Shimano integrated hydro brake lever, I think you can use themwith Magura Martas since they both use mineral oil.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sold my Mono4's sometime ago.
    I'm not sure if Martas will work with Shimano levers though it depends on the lever ratio and how much fluid they move. Hope do have a Mono Mini caliper that's designed to work with Shimano levers and mineral oil, I don't know if it's been released yet though but it's been mentioned in a couple of UK mags.