Will work for gear

Help choosing my first disc brakes.

I am about to make the leap to disc (I have been researching for months) and don't know where to go. I've got it narrowed to a few choices and would like some choices. I like to wrench on my bike my self and will likely be getting these mail order.

I want to go with hydros as the thing I really want from discs is the modulation. My list is as follows

Magura Louise (heard they are hard to set up for a beginner)
    Magura Julie (inexpensive, but I've really heard nothing about them)
    Hope Mono Mini (heard they have squeaky problems)
    or do I bite the bullet and get some Juicy 7s (adjustable, but hard to come by)

Or as they are my first discs should I play it safe and get some Avid mechs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey
    I am about to make the leap to disc (I have been researching for months) and don't know where to go. I've got it narrowed to a few choices and would like some choices. I like to wrench on my bike my self and will likely be getting these mail order.

I want to go with hydros as the thing I really want from discs is the modulation. My list is as follows

Magura Julie (inexpensive, but I've really heard nothing about them)
    Hope Mono Mini (heard they have squeaky problems)
    or do I bite the bullet and get some Juicy 7s (adjustable, but hard to come by)

Or as they are my first discs should I play it safe and get some Avid mechs?
    If you want to go with hydro brakes, then I would opt for the Juicy 7s from your list you have provided. A friend of mine has them and they are amazing. I currently use Hayes, but the next set of brakes I get will be Juicy's.

If you decide to go mechanical, then avid mechs are really the only choice to go with.

"El Whatever"
    Do you plan on later upgrades??? Get the Avid Mechs... you will give yourself a hard time finding a sensible reason to drop them off.

Want a good cheap hydro??? The Magura Julies. Not as powerful but more than capable to stop you and loaded with nice features.

Want the best hydro out there and you've got a bag of money laying around??? Get either the Hopes (stellar performance) or the Juicy's. The juicys have more adjustability than the Hopes though.
    Check my Site

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey

I can't imagine why. My first disc brakes were Louise, so I guess I was a beginner, and I didn't have a problem

Mike T. (mcm # 717)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member

Idea!

I have the Juicys, several of my buddies have the Avid mechanicals, one has the Shimanno LX discs, another the Formula B4 and my wife rides the Avids mechanicals. I've worked on all of them except the Formulas.

If you want a good set of brakes that will offer very little trouble, a lot of great braking and reliability and the ability to tune/tweak them, get the Avid Mechanicals, some Avid 7 or Ultimate levers and the Flak/Full Metal cable system(s). They are great brakes that, worst case, you can fix in the field.

Installation on the Avids (Juicys, too) is even easier than Vee brakes.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

I have 04 XTs..

and they are pretty good, I know they aren't the cheapest, but these are my first discs and I have had no problems installing, adjusting or bleeding these brakes. Just something to consider...

-Cris
    Last edited by crisillo; 08-24-2004 at 04:45 AM. Reason: typo