Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    30

    Help with choice 04 Mags v 05 Carbons

    I have choice between Hayes 04 Mags and Hayes 05 Carbons for my NRS XC $20 diff.
    I can not find any direct comparissons between them does anyone have any experience with either pros's con's?

    TIA

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasteless
    I have choice between Hayes 04 Mags and Hayes 05 Carbons for my NRS XC $20 diff.
    I can not find any direct comparissons between them does anyone have any experience with either pros's con's?

    TIA
    Not a lot of diffference, I think the biggest is the carbon lever blade. No difference in performance. If you are looking for a light brake for I would recommend the magura marta SL.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    30
    I thought the brake unit on the Mag's and the Carbon's was different.
    I know the brake levers are different unless I get the Mag + which has the carbon lever.
    Is this right?

  4. #4
    I work in .001 tolerances
    Reputation: HomegrownMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,125

    We the people ... Hayes caliper styles....

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasteless
    I thought the brake unit on the Mag's and the Carbon's was different.
    I know the brake levers are different unless I get the Mag + which has the carbon lever.
    Is this right?

    The only difference between the Hayes models (other than carbon levers) are the caliper generations. There is a Gen1 and Gen2. The Gen1 are two piece caliper bodies. Whereas the Gen2 is 1 piece. Try to find the Gen2 caliper body.
    Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Let's have a beer or 10.
    Reputation: GrosGarage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    94
    Titanium hardware maybe? The 04 had them.

  6. #6
    Race Technician
    Reputation: Randy@Hayes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    192

    Here's the lowdown....

    Since you didn't say what model the 05 Carbons are so I'll list the HFX Mag and HFX 9 brake versions.

    HFX Mag, G2 caliper, weight Approx. 400 Grams, Magnesium master cylinder body, steel screw hardware, aluminum lever blade, std. Hayes rotor '04, V6 or V8 rotor '05

    HFX Mag Plus, G2 Caliper, weight 368 grams, Magnesium MC body, Ti Hardware everywhere, carbon lever blade, Wave-like rotor.

    HFX 9, G2 caliper, weight 430 grams, Aluminum MC body, Steel hardware, aluminum lever blade, std. Hayes rotor '04, New V6 or V8 rotor '05. The '05 brake has the new adjuster bushing to prevent the pushrod from rotating during rides. The new adjuster bushing can be had by calling our 800 number.

    HFX 9 Carbon, G2 caliper, weight 420 grams, Aluminum MC body, Steel hardware, Carbon lever blade, std. Hayes rotor '04, New V6 or V8 rotor '05. The '05 brake has the new adjuster bushing to prevent the pushrod from rotating during rides. The new adjuster bushing can be had by calling our 800 number.

    Both G1 and G2 are 2 piece calipers. the G1 is slightly larger. Both use the same seal and pistons and both are 74mm spacing.

    Ti hardware is available consisting of mounting bolts and washers, clamp screws and caliper bridge bolts. HFX Mag kit includes additional bolts not found on the HFX 9 brake.

    Hope this helps.

    Randy@Hayes
    Hayes Disc Brakes
    1-888-686-3472
    Last edited by Randy@Hayes; 03-07-2005 at 07:24 PM.

  7. #7
    IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
    Reputation: Spidey-Lag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    241

    Randy@hayes,

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy@Hayes
    Since you didn't say what model the 05 Carbons are so I'll list the HFX Mag and HFX 9 brake versions.

    HFX Mag, G2 caliper, weight Approx. 400 Grams, Magnesium master cylinder body, steel screw hardware, aluminum lever blade, std. Hayes rotor '04, V6 or V8 rotor '05

    HFX Mag Plus, G2 Caliper, weight 368 grams, Magnesium MC body, Ti Hardware everywhere, carbon lever blade, Wave-like rotor.

    HFX 9, G2 caliper, weight 430 grams, Aluminum MC body, Steel hardware, aluminum lever blade, std. Hayes rotor '04, New V6 or V8 rotor '05. The '05 brake has the new adjuster bushing to prevent the pushrod from rotating during rides. The new adjuster bushing can be had by calling our 800 number.

    HFX 9 Carbon, G2 caliper, weight 420 grams, Aluminum MC body, Steel hardware, Carbon lever blade, std. Hayes rotor '04, New V6 or V8 rotor '05. The '05 brake has the new adjuster bushing to prevent the pushrod from rotating during rides. The new adjuster bushing can be had by calling our 800 number.

    Both G1 and G2 are 2 piece calipers. the G1 is slightly larger. Both use the same seal and pistons and both are 74mm spacing.

    Ti hardware is available consisting of mounting bolts and washers, clamp screws and caliper bridge bolts. HFX Mag kit includes additional bolts not found on the HFX 9 brake.

    Hope this helps.

    Randy@Hayes
    Hayes Disc Brakes
    1-888-686-3472

    Would you be able to give the lowdown on the comparison between the two (HFX 9 Carbon vs HFX Mag) with respect to maintenance of the lever body, bleeding, performance, durability, etc.

    There is minimal weight difference between HFX Mag and HFX-9 Carbon. But I noticed the Hayes website describes the HFX-9 as "medium end" and HFX Mag as "high end". What's the diff? Besides the obvious appearance difference...

    I just recently installed HFX-9 Carbon with G2 calipers on my Intense 5.5 and I'm very happy with them as far as power, modulation, looks, and ease of installation. What's so different about the HFX Mag?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    30
    Thanks heaps this is the info I was chasing.

    I am going to get the Hayes Mags with the V6 rotors.

    Living in Australia I am very interested in the
    Quote" The new adjuster bushing can be had by calling our 800 number."
    I personally know 23 riders all with Hayes all putting up with the grub screw problem.
    We have tried
    (1) Blue Loctite works rarely.
    (2) Plumbers tape (white binding tape) you need to be a masochist to get in with the screw but it works sometimes.
    (3) Clean the grub screw with alcohol then use blue loctite works sometimes.

    We all carry a 2mm hex key, its like a Hayes club thing and none of us would change to a different brand of brake.

    The bushing, what is it, what does it look like etc, and can we get it outside the States?



    You are the man

  9. #9
    Race Technician
    Reputation: Randy@Hayes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    192

    Glad I could help

    The new bushing looks similar to the existing one but has a nylon patch to cause some thread interference.

    I'm not sure if our Australian distributor has them. Our part number is 99-17000, see if your local shop can order them from their Hayes distributor.

    Randy@Hayes

  10. #10
    Race Technician
    Reputation: Randy@Hayes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    192

    Well....

    The HFX 9 master cylinder piston goes directly into a bore machined in the lever body. The Mag brake lever body is cast magnesium and has a separate master cylinder cartridge that is inserted into the body. The HFX 9 series brake is our mid-level pricepoint brake. The HFX Mag brake is our original model that has been our top of the line brake until the El Camino came out recently. Both the Mag and the HFX9 are similar in respect to maintenance, performance and durability.

    The Mag brake has slightly more fluid capacity than the HFX 9 so it could run cooler during long brake applications (DH use).

    Hope this helps.

    Randy@Hayes

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    30
    They sure do.

    Contacted DirtWorks in AUS they have them in stock, my LBS just ordred a bunch.
    Thanks again.

  12. #12
    IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
    Reputation: Spidey-Lag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    241

    Thanks for the info Randy....

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy@Hayes
    The HFX 9 master cylinder piston goes directly into a bore machined in the lever body. The Mag brake lever body is cast magnesium and has a separate master cylinder cartridge that is inserted into the body. The HFX 9 series brake is our mid-level pricepoint brake. The HFX Mag brake is our original model that has been our top of the line brake until the El Camino came out recently. Both the Mag and the HFX9 are similar in respect to maintenance, performance and durability.

    The Mag brake has slightly more fluid capacity than the HFX 9 so it could run cooler during long brake applications (DH use).

    Hope this helps.

    Randy@Hayes

    This is exactly what I wanted to find out. I wish I would have known this a week earlier before I got the HFX9 Carbons. Had I known, I would have opted for the Mags. I was being offered either the HFX9 Carbon or HFX Mag for the same price.

    So far I've been really happy with the HFX9 Carbons. I installed them and broke in the pads and power and modulation are exactly what I was expecting (smooth and powerful). Hopefully they stay that way for a while.

    Quite a difference from the Purple Hayes with G1 Calipers I replaced them for. Stronger braking in a lighter package. Nice looking too especially with the wavey rotors

    Thanks again for the info

Similar Threads

  1. Help 04 or 05 Gemini....long post
    By spacoli in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 03:02 AM
  2. Help 04 or 05 Gemini....long post
    By spacoli in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 07:29 AM
  3. Help 04 or 05 Gemini....long post
    By spacoli in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 11:58 AM
  4. Question about Fox F80 '05 vs. '04 model
    By IndyRon in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 03:49 PM
  5. 04 BH Expert vs. 05 BH FSR
    By DBoy in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •