Cyclist

Help: changing hose connectors on Hope Mini

I'm changing from a 90 degree connector to a straight connector. This will allow a nice straight hose to the rear brake. In the picture, the new connector is installed on the caliper. The old connector is in place on the hose. How do you get that connector off? It just spins and spins? I tried pulling hard with vice grips too. Do I need to cut it? If so, how to reattach to the new connector? Do I need a new brass fitting?

Please help. Building a new dream frame here.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You need to work the brass olive out first..

This can be done by using a small flat (~2m) blade screw driver, once the olive is off twist/pull the hose while holding the Al connector (this maybe easier if you put the connector back on the calliper or if you are not going to reuse it stick a screwdriver through the hole). Beware that the brake fluid will leak at this stage.

If it is still not coming apart use a small flat blade screw driver to ply the hose off the connector at the end/base of the hose.

You may break the brass olive when you are trying to take it off then you will have to order a new one.

Hope this help.

Wayne

Cyclist

more questions

Quote Originally Posted by WOY
    This can be done by using a small flat (~2m) blade screw driver, once the olive is off twist/pull the hose while holding the Al connector (this maybe easier if you put the connector back on the calliper or if you are not going to reuse it stick a screwdriver through the hole). Beware that the brake fluid will leak at this stage.

If it is still not coming apart use a small flat blade screw driver to ply the hose off the connector at the end/base of the hose.

You may break the brass olive when you are trying to take it off then you will have to order a new one.

Hope this help.

Wayne
    Okay, so I gently pry off the brass olive from the hose and pull the aluminum head off. Now the brass fitting is still attached to the connector or the hose? What do I use for the new connector? Once I get the hose off, does the brass piece come out of the connector and be used again in the straight connector?
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Okay, so I gently pry off the brass olive from the hose and pull the aluminum head off. Now the brass fitting is still attached to the connector or the hose? What do I use for the new connector? Once I get the hose off, does the brass piece come out of the connector and be used again in the straight connector?
    More than likely the brass olive will still be connected to the hose. Use your screwdriver to pry the slit of the brass olive open so that it can move on the hose. Then slide the hose on to the new straight fitting. Seat the brass olive back into the straight fitting so that it is at the end of the hose. Make sure that your hose is inserted all the way on to the straight fitting (be careful not to separate the outer layer of the hose with the inner). Then screw the aluminum shroud on to the straight fitting. This will compress the brass olive and secure your hose again.