mtbr member
    Apr 2009

New question here. Help!!! Break pads dragging every time i put on the front wheel.

I just got disk breaks for the first time and every time I go to put on the front wheel I have to pry open the pads with a flat screwdriver to open them up so the pads don't drag on the rotor. Is this normal, am I doing something wrong, is there a way to prevent this (i know don't take off the front wheel but, i have a fork mount carrier so for the time being the wheel has to come off).

I have the Avid Elixir CR Carbon w/ 185mm rotor.

Thanks for the help.

What could go wrong ...
    yes, dont squeeze the brake lever when the wheel is off the bike
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Zoke2 - i am pretty careful not to squeeze the break lever but thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm not familiar with those Avid brakes, but do they have a spreader clip??? If they do, make sure the clip is not bent and/or damaged. Its also possible the clip is installed incorrectly on the pads.

mtbr member
    This isn't normal. Are the pads too tight after removal that you can't put the wheel back on? If the pads are too close, I can only think of that the level is somehow getting pushed at some point in time. It's B-R-A-K-E BTW.

What It Be ?
    and Disc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you pushed on the brake lever while the wheel was off you probably pushed the pistons too far and the brakes are touching each other.You need to open the brake cap to remove pressure inside your brake system (refer to your manual or online manual). Push the pistons back in using plastic item, put the wheel back in. Push the brake lever all the way in one last time, there should be some oil dripping from the cap, but the brake pads will separate once you let go the lever. Fill in the missing oil (a few drips). Put the cap back on. Unscrew the two screws to adjust the brake on your rotor so it moves sideways. Now what i do is take a set of cards (yes i keep one in my toolbox) rip one card in half and stick it on both side of the brake (like a shim). Last step is to press hard on the brake and don't let it go, screw the brake back in place, this will assure the brake is centered and there's a little gap on both side so the brake don't rub while spinning. Take out the card shims and your done. You can also use two cards on one side if you have too much rub.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Here's a thought - could the pads be working their way inward due to the vibration of the car? If so, can you cut a piece of cardboard or plastic or something to tape into the caliper when you're transporting the bike?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Tahoe Native
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Here's a thought - could the pads be working their way inward due to the vibration of the car? If so, can you cut a piece of cardboard or plastic or something to tape into the caliper when you're transporting the bike?
    I think that's the ticket. My XT's came with a plastic block to put in there while the wheel is off. I also have another that fits in there for bleeding with the pads removed.