mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Help! Brand new MTB with Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes

I noticed during my ride yesterday that the front brakes weren't as sensitive as they had been. I had to pull harder on the brake lever to get the same braking response I had originally. Also there was a different sound when braking like almost a chugging sound (I guess it was making that sound becos I wasn't pulling back full on the lever to cause an immediate full stop).

When I got home later I saw a small puddle on the ground below the front brakes. Flipped the bike on it's back and saw some yellow fluid coming out of the front brake system next to the disc rotors. I dried it up with a tissue and it hasn't been leaking since but I wonder if there's something wrong and do I need to bring it in already to get serviced?

I've only had the bike about 2 weeks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyAlan View Post
    I noticed during my ride yesterday that the front brakes weren't as sensitive as they had been. I had to pull harder on the brake lever to get the same braking response I had originally. Also there was a different sound when braking like almost a chugging sound (I guess it was making that sound becos I wasn't pulling back full on the lever to cause an immediate full stop).

When I got home later I saw a small puddle on the ground below the front brakes. Flipped the bike on it's back and saw some yellow fluid coming out of the front brake system next to the disc rotors. I dried it up with a tissue and it hasn't been leaking since but I wonder if there's something wrong and do I need to bring it in already to get serviced?

I've only had the bike about 2 weeks...
    I would bring it back to the shop where you bought it. I'm sure they'll be happy to check it out for you.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    I would bring it back to the shop where you bought it. I'm sure they'll be happy to check it out for you.
    Agreed. Sounds like perhaps you've got a faulty piston seal.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!