mtbr member

Help with brakes....

Thinking of going from 06 hope Mini's to 07 Marta SL's(RED) anyone have any commments on this move good or bad?I must be honest to move is based solely on looks and weight(more so looks, red and carbon?com on) they will look real good with my new red on red I9's.BUT my hope's run perfect(here in Mass.)As much as I dig cool bling a reliable anything(mostly brakes)has got to come first. Thanks guys.CF..

this account retired
    Fred, I have/have had both. Both are great brakes in my opinion. I personally prefer the Minis over my Magura Marta SLs, but that is not science, just an opinion (which is all anybody will have).

As for bling, nothing wrong with (red 2006) Hopes (though the white coil and shock have since left the bike, but still)

mtbr member

Kid,youre killing me with those wheels..WOW

Didn't we just talk I9's a week ago?I didn't know you were rockin a Turner(I guess I could still try to like you0HaHa.Very very nice looking bike how about some more shots of that sweet thing.But more so than that where did you get all the Hope Bling?Is that all through Hope?levers,the rev.covers,and the red on the caliper them selves(what ever you call them).Love love those wheels,My red on red on black will be 4 to 6 weeks OUH.Thanks bro.CF.

mtbr member

Btw>>>>>>>>>

You do know who was rolling with white spring first right?HaHa.CF......

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Didn't we just talk I9's a week ago?I didn't know you were rockin a Turner(I guess I could still try to like you0HaHa.Very very nice looking bike how about some more shots of that sweet thing.But more so than that where did you get all the Hope Bling?Is that all through Hope?levers,the rev.covers,and the red on the caliper them selves(what ever you call them).Love love those wheels,My red on red on black will be 4 to 6 weeks OUH.Thanks bro.CF.
    Haha...yeah dawg, you originally inspired the white coil on this bike. However, I have since move on to an Avalanche Chubie on the RFX which is way PSICKER the the DHX.

As for the red stuff, I got the whole bike from Chad at Red Barn bikes (redbarnbicycles.com), where I get most of my stuff. Chad is the one who had the coil painted, along with the rims as well...he built up the I9s for me...he is the man.

Red stuff is Hope levers, reservoir caps, and caliper bore caps. I run Minis on my other bike and lovem em there too...except I am rollin with Dangerboy levers there instead...though Hope stock levers are sweet too, but the dangerboy calendar girl is a hottie
    Attached Images Attached Images

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    You do know who was rolling with white spring first right?HaHa.CF......
    since you asked, couple more pics in its current state. Changed the Deity 50mm stem to a Syncros 70mm, changed to Big Betty tires, and switched to Avy Chubie shock....i pseriously love the bike
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Sides shots please..

Any other shots of both bikes?Also can I get all that stuff through Hope?Thanks.CF.

mtbr member

Wow your quick..

Sweet ride bro.for sure.CF..

Bodhisattva
    CF,
    Are these brakes going on your Nicolai?

If so, then you should be looking at Hope M4, M6 or Motos. The Mono Minis will not be sufficient for the way you ride. I have Mono Minis on my 24 lb SS and have overheated a front 7" on long descents.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

this account retired
    think Fred has 2 Nicolai...one a XC version, but i of course defer to him

mtbr member

Thanks Squeak.........

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    CF,
    Are these brakes going on your Nicolai?

If so, then you should be looking at Hope M4, M6 or Motos. The Mono Minis will not be sufficient for the way you ride. I have Mono Minis on my 24 lb SS and have overheated a front 7" on long descents.
    I have Hope Minis on both Nicolai's,and as I'm sure the M4 or M6 Motos would be better,I really have never ever had any problems with the Mini's.So I guess for now it is what it is.Thanks again all.CF.....

banned
    Just caught this one late, but if you haven't made the choice already, I'd put another recommendation in for the Hopes. I'm running a Mini rear 180 and an M4 183 up front. One factor is the terrain on the Northeast, especially when it gets wet. The soil contains lots of abrasive particles from the sand deposits and these kill the organic pads that come with Maggies. You can't use metallics on them, but you can with Hope. The 2007 levers are way stiffer now, even though stiffness wasn't a concern previously.

I also found out that M4's use the same pads as the old SHimano m755 XT brakes, so they can be had for a steal.

If you're looking to cut costs, you can also just buy an M4 or M6 caliper and bolt it onto the lever you have already.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Formula Puro's. They are soooo much better than the Marta's. Get past how they look.

Also, there are new two piece rotors coming out with a "secret" carrier material.

If your rides have long descents, the Puro's will exhibit far less fade and pump than the Marta's. Best customer service around as well.

Power, weight (lack of), ease of intall, cutomer service -> Price->

Formula's are also easier to bleed IMO than the Marta's.