mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Help! Blown master cylinder!

Pulled my girlfriends bike out for a spring dust off only to have the front master cylinder blow out as soon as I pulled on the lever. The brakes are Hayes Soles. Can they be rebuilt/repaired? Is it even worth it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Blow out? So they exploded when you pulled the lever?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes the lever went all the way to the grip and brake fluid shot out of the front of the master cylinder. I think im just gonna replace the whole system. Suggestions anyone?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    not worth repairing. Replace it with an Avid BB7- it will work great with the Hayes rotor. The soles is a "bike path" grade disc brake, at best, altho it does work okay as a rear brake, since the rear does not provide alot of stopping power. I've been using the BB7 front/Soles rear on my mountain bike for years. Just waiting for the Soles to die...but it hasn't yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Maybe we can ad electrical systems to bikes too! Grab some BB7s.

MTB B'dos
    DUMP THEM THEY ARE SHITE!!! Sorry, but the sad truth is those and HFX9s once they need any work are not worth it, BB7s can be had for $54 a wheel and work, was going to say way better, but they just work compared to those pieces of crap.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

LightJunction.com
    If one seal is bad, odds are many other seals are bad too. Before moving forward, I'd examine the other master cylinder and both slave cylinders. Might not be a bad idea to give the entire bike a once-over while you're at it. As for the brake in question, if you can rebuild brakes yourself, it's cheaper to overhaul them, but if you're not up to the task and want to take it to a shop, this repair can be cost prohibitive. In the end, even if the parts are half the price of a new brake, I'd probably just buy a new brake. Then you'd get new pads, rotors and everything. That's just my opinion.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclesnIPAs View Post
    Yes the lever went all the way to the grip and brake fluid shot out of the front of the master cylinder. I think im just gonna replace the whole system. Suggestions anyone?
    Did you lose the rubber bung that is used to refill the master cylinder? If so it's easy to replace.

But these are terrible brakes as others have said and BB7s would be a good upgrade.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Everyone keeps saying how horrible Hayes Soles are. I rode them almost daily for about 4 years without any problems. This is my 1st issue with them. Maybe ive been lucky? I spoke to my lbs and they said they might be able to fix them cheap but they gotta look at them 1st. Im going this route cuz i really cant swing new brakes right now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If she prefers hydros, the new Deore brakes cost roughly the same as BB7's. Should be reliable too.

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, the new Shimano stuff is pretty nice and easy to setup, just did a set for a guy down here and he's very happy with them. He came off HFX9s that the fluid had crystallized and I tried bleeding them but just couldn't get them back, they'd get almost there, then I'd go at it one more time and they'd go to nothing again. For the Price, either BB7s or the Shimano Deores really can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by anlin View Post
    If she prefers hydros, the new Deore brakes cost roughly the same as BB7's. Should be reliable too.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was considering deores. Gonna check em out. Thanks for your help folks.