Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

(HELP) Bleeding Elixer 7 SL's

So I've been having a real mushy rear brake lately and I figured it was worth a try to bleed the brake and see how it was after. However I'm having trouble doing the job. This is my first attempt at bleeding brakes, so I did purchase the Avid bleed kit from my LBS.

Avid Elixir Disc Brake Bleed Procedure - YouTube

This is the step by step I've been following I'm at the first step really, 3:00min mark in the video, where you push fluid from the caliper to the lever. However I cant push the fluid in at the caliper. It just wont go. I've done exactly what this video said except turning the "pad contact adjuster" on the lever cause my elixer 7 SL's dont have that option. Also in this video they are doing the front brake, I am doing my rear I cant see that making a difference at the part I'm stuck at but just thought I'd mention that.

I've also watched video #2
    AVID Bleed Procedure - YouTube

but again, I cant inject the new fluid from the caliper, and draw back on the syringe at the lever, a) fluid doesn't inject into the caliper b) I can pull back at the one at the lever but its no use as I'm not injecting anything at the caliper.

I'm hoping someone out there can help me, I'm getting pretty frustrated as I cant figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Have you opened the clips that is pinching the syringe tubes? I'd suggest printing your instructions and reading them several times and visualize doing it before cracking the lines again. Watch the videos a few more times and get to the point you've memorized it

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Just in case another else finds themselves in the same loop of frustration I got into. I believe my problem was I did not adjust the brake lever. I believe it has to be 75-80mm from the middle of the handle bar to the top of the end of the lever. Or as I did, mine measured about 90mm. It worked.

So for about an hour I could not get the fluid pushed into the rear caliper. I decided to restore it back to how it was and then start from 0 again. so I bolted everything back together, tossed the wheels on and just sat on the bike and pumped the brake a couple times. Nothing hard.
    Then tried the bleeding procedure again, boom. Fluid flowed right thru it, and I completed the bleed to the best of my abilities. I cant say for 100% certainty it was the lever, but it was the only thing I changed/altered.