Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DireWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    347

    Help - BB7, Julie or LX??

    I got a giftcard to Jenson for Xmas and need some disc brakes on a budget. The BB7s (with cheap levers and cables), Shimano LX calipers and levers and Magura Julies are all about the same price. I'm replacing some Hayes Mags that are several years old and which don't work well at all in cold New Hampshire winters.

    I'm ready to buy the BB7s based on reputation for reliability and functionality but would rather stay with hydros for that buttery feeling I enjoy with the Hayes. The LXs have a strike against them b/c they come with centerlock rotors which are useless to me - I'd have to buy new rotors or try to make do with worn Hayes rotors.

    What do you guys think - should I just get the Avids and save my pennies for more expensive hydros in the future or are the cheap hydros worthwhile?

  2. #2
    MTBR Demi-God
    Reputation: anirban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    832
    Between BB7 and LX, I would put my money down on the LX calipers and levers. Great and economical hydraulic brakeset. I also use a XT brakeset, and I would not be able to tell you the difference in performance between them.

    I have not had any experience with Julies, but Maguras are a solid brand- you cannot go wrong with either of these, but I would still vote for LX, provided you are comfortable getting 6-bolt rotors, as they come with centerlock ones.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

  3. #3
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Hang tight & wait for the Strokers to go on sale.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DireWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    347
    Thanks guys. I was hoping to hear that the LX are decent brakes.

    dogonfr, do you know something the rest of us don't? How long do I have to wait and do you think they'll come in at <$140 for the pair like the rest of the brakes I'm considering? I haven't read anything about the strokers...

    Anyone have experience with the Julies?

  5. #5
    mtbjk
    Reputation: Jan R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    285
    Id go BB7's the best darn mechanical setup today and they are still useing them on DH bikes cause they are that good. easy setup and adjustability and not limited to the fill of hydros and no adjustments for a tight or loose feeling brake and the best part is the adjustable calipers and never having any brake rub. and if you get the speed dial levers you also can adjust the leverage ratio on the fly cant do that with any of the hydros without getting out the tools. caliper setup is the easiest I have ever done, no shims to deal with and very easy centering of the calipers when setting up. and stopping power everybit as good as the hayes and the shimano brakes with decent modulation. hope this helps
    Jan R
    Ride On

  6. #6
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf
    Thanks guys. I was hoping to hear that the LX are decent brakes.

    dogonfr, do you know something the rest of us don't? How long do I have to wait and do you think they'll come in at <$140 for the pair like the rest of the brakes I'm considering? I haven't read anything about the strokers...

    Anyone have experience with the Julies?
    Dont know about 140 for a set but Craigs List & ebay are great hunting grounds. Strokers are Awesome!!!!

    http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.co...Z1QQsofocusZbs
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  7. #7
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Dont know about 140 for a set but Craigs List & ebay are great hunting grounds. Strokers are Awesome!!!!

    http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.co...Z1QQsofocusZbs
    It has to be from Jenson, because he got a gift card.

    I vote for the LX set - since I picked them up myself and am in love

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,857
    BB7's shouldn't be bad, I have BB5's and they amaze me.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10
    I would vote for the BB7s. I just put a pair on my bike last night, can't wait to hit the trails this weekend!!!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,255
    i find the downside to my BB5 which might be the same or not the same for the BB7 is that when i crash afterwards i have to spend like 30 min readjusting my calipers to align with my rotor, while my friends hydro jst seems to never have that problem. Of course unless your planning on crashing every time you go out it shouldnt matter anyways.

    oh yea forgot to add my friend has LX hydros

  11. #11
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb
    It has to be from Jenson, because he got a gift card.

    I vote for the LX set - since I picked them up myself and am in love
    1 day I will learn how to read & memorize a post.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dduk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf
    I'm replacing some Hayes Mags that are several years old and which don't work well at all in cold New Hampshire winters.
    I have XT hyrdos (mineral oil), Hayes 9 hydros (DOT 4), and BB7's on separate bikes. I've taken all 3 out in the cold and snow and the BB7's are the best hands-down. While I like the hydros better in the summer, in the winter the BB7's shine. There's no fluid to get cold and change its viscosity, and if a cable fails you can usually rig something up on the trail instead of trying to hike it back in the cold.

    If you're looking for something that works in the cold, get the BB7's.
    Pivot Mach429

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,857
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clueless
    i find the downside to my BB5 which might be the same or not the same for the BB7 is that when i crash afterwards i have to spend like 30 min readjusting my calipers to align with my rotor, while my friends hydro jst seems to never have that problem. Of course unless your planning on crashing every time you go out it shouldnt matter anyways.

    oh yea forgot to add my friend has LX hydros
    The difference is like $15 bucks, I think the power is the same, the only difference is that the BB7 has the outboard adjustment knob?

  14. #14
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by dduk
    and if a cable fails you can usually rig something up on the trail instead of trying to hike it back in the cold.
    If you cant ride your bike with 1 brake or even none out of a ride you should hang up the bike & take up skateboarding instead.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DireWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    The difference is like $15 bucks, I think the power is the same, the only difference is that the BB7 has the outboard adjustment knob?
    I think the BB5s use different pads. Not sure about power.

    This discussion is great but I still haven't made up my mind. Sounds like BB7s are hard to beat especially in the cold.....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,255
    BB5 have smaller pads and only one adjustment knob insted of two like the BB7 I think. If you go with the BB7 you would never have to worry about performance in weather and they require very little to no work to keep running, but your finger might get alittle tired after a long descent. The hydros less effort to stop, but more work to keep running and also power is about the same if not the BB7 probally has a bit more as my BB5 are on pair with my friends LX brake. Atleast I think so

  17. #17
    MTBR Demi-God
    Reputation: anirban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clueless
    BB5 have smaller pads and only one adjustment knob insted of two like the BB7 I think. If you go with the BB7 you would never have to worry about performance in weather and they require very little to no work to keep running, but your finger might get alittle tired after a long descent. The hydros less effort to stop, but more work to keep running and also power is about the same if not the BB7 probally has a bit more as my BB5 are on pair with my friends LX brake. Atleast I think so
    My LX and XT brakes have been flawless in a varied climate conditions. They have performed very well in temperatures of above 110F, and below 5F. Once set up properly, they require a lot less adjustment and maintenance as compared to mechanical brakesets. The feel of my LX and XT are a lot better than what I had with mechanicals. Ofcourse, if you are freeriding or doing some insane rides, LX might not be upto par. But for XC riding, they are the most favorable brakes when looked at its cost : performance ratio IMHO.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Znarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    994
    I too find that the LXs are a really fine set of brakes.
    paired to some big rotors they kick ass.
    And they´re practically maintenance free.
    A lot better than mechanicals, I think that the automatic pad adjust on hydros is one of their biggest advantages.

    Really worth the money, the LX.
    The Julies stink, while their finish is nice, they are a low pressure hydro system, they have a solid lever feel, but they lack stocking power and they do fade quite a bit.

    Get the shimanos, they work fine with Hayes rotors btw. but be sure to check for wear and clean them really, really, really carefully.


    Greetings Znarf

  19. #19
    Huh?
    Reputation: airs0ft3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Hang tight & wait for the Strokers to go on sale.
    I gotta ask, how are the Strokers better than any other brake on the market (assuming you are speaking of Hayes Strokers). Hayes has always marketed some of the most innovative ideas but they have always fell short.

    I have heard the only differences between LX and XT brakes is the weight.

  20. #20
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    The XT brake caliper MAY be slightly stiffer... which would result in more power. But I feel that the LX brake performs quite well, certainly well enough for most XC or AM application.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evo5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    189
    My vote is for LX. I have those brakes for 6 months. They work perfect. I use 203 mm hayes rotor for front and 180mm hayes rotor for rear They are compatible. They brake great!!!!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MartinS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,430
    LX's are pretty nice, as are most of the Shimano Brakes. I live in an area with a lot of 3000+ foot descents and you only see tourists with BB7s. If you live in an area where the mountains are more varied or flatter the BB7s are okay, but they seem to require more pressure at the lever than hydros, an issue on long descents when your hands cramp up.
    I run Saints and have no issues with them even at -25 C.

  23. #23
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    Quote Originally Posted by evo5
    My vote is for LX. I have those brakes for 6 months. They work perfect. I use 203 mm hayes rotor for front and 180mm hayes rotor for rear They are compatible. They brake great!!!!
    Hayes doesn't make a 180mm rotor, only the V7 which is a 183mm rotor. Just a technicality.

  24. #24
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Hayes doesn't make a 180mm rotor, only the V7 which is a 183mm rotor. Just a technicality.
    Might as well jump in here - Can i use 180mm rotor in the front with my LX hydro's without any problems?

    I simply do not know how big I can upsize the rotors! I would like to ideally just run 180 on the front, 160 out back

  25. #25
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    It depends if the fork is okayed for larger rotors. If it is, you just need the appropriate adapter to match the rotor size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •