Bike Junkie

New question here. Help with Avid Mech 185mm setup with Fox Vanilla

I was able to take my Turner out for a spring road ride today just to get it aired out and see if any of the changes that I made over the longer winter were causing issues.

I'm using a 2003 Fox Vanilla RLC 125 (set to 100mm) with 2003 Avid Mechnical Disc 185mm rotor. I realigned the caliper over the winter. It didn't seem that difficult. On my first ride I found that the washers on the lower post mount were actually hitting the rotor arms, subsequently wearing down the aluminum washers. At first I tought it was the noise related to my new Chris King hubs being broken in. There are two places where you bolt the caliper to the adapter and for me the clearance is miniscule.

I went ahead a readjusted according to the manual, I get the equivalent of a folded piece of paper worth of clearance.

1. Has anyone else noticed this
    2. Does anyone forsee it as a problem, sure there is clearance now; but will torsional stress be enough to have the washers (2 of them) drive into the rotor arms again?

BTW, I'm using new Chris King ISO disc with Mavic F219's (Thanks to Larry @ Mtn High cyclery).

meatier showers

Similar situation

I have a Fox V125RL with 185mm Avid mech on the front of my Vulture SS. My clearance is not as bad as yours, but I also have a Sugar with a Marzocchi fork and 203mm Avid -- both bikes have CK ISO hubs. I also have several other bikes with discs and various brands of hubs. My experience tells me that it's the CK hubs that are the tight clearance culprit.

At first I was a little concerned about the close tolerance but I just ran things the way they lined up and things have been fine for three years now.

If your situation makes you nervous, maybe you could consider facing/milling the disc tabs on the fork (there are a couple of tools on the market made for this) but I wouldn't shave them down more than a millimeter or two. They make them as thick as they do for a reason.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOut
    I was able to take my Turner out for a spring road ride today just to get it aired out and see if any of the changes that I made over the longer winter were causing issues.

I'm using a 2003 Fox Vanilla RLC 125 (set to 100mm) with 2003 Avid Mechnical Disc 185mm rotor. I realigned the caliper over the winter. It didn't seem that difficult. On my first ride I found that the washers on the lower post mount were actually hitting the rotor arms, subsequently wearing down the aluminum washers. At first I tought it was the noise related to my new Chris King hubs being broken in. There are two places where you bolt the caliper to the adapter and for me the clearance is miniscule.

I went ahead a readjusted according to the manual, I get the equivalent of a folded piece of paper worth of clearance.

1. Has anyone else noticed this
    2. Does anyone forsee it as a problem, sure there is clearance now; but will torsional stress be enough to have the washers (2 of them) drive into the rotor arms again?

BTW, I'm using new Chris King ISO disc with Mavic F219's (Thanks to Larry @ Mtn High cyclery).
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Bike Junkie
    Hey thanks for post.

Come to think of it you might be right about the CK hubs. I had Deore XT disc hubs prior to this and I did not notice a thing. Except when I got my CK wheels and had to realign the caliper and couldn't get enough clearance on the outboard side, so I had to put zero turns on the outboard pad.

I was not comfortable with the .5mm clearance I was getting. I took the caliper off the Fork and sanded/filed down the paint to make sure it was smooth and flat. This probably didn't get me anything but I was searching for burs or paint/coating imperfections.

It's the two washers that surround the Avid adapter that were causing the problem. I took them out and filed part fo them flush with the adapter itself.

I now has as much clearance as I do between the disc pad and the rotor which is about 1mm. So I guess that's as good as it gets unless I go as far as to mill down the brake adapter; which I'd rather not of course.

So far so good. Now if the trails would just dry up a little....

mtbr member

Aha!

I always wondered what the heck was making that noise! (Now beating myself up, I actually MISSED something. A rarity for me, hence the the abuse heaped upon me now!)

Using a 125RLC set to 100mm, Avid 185 but an XT hub. Occasionally, I got that rotor/post interference, but usually a quick undo of the QR, move it about and reset fixed the problem.

Seems that I have a tiny bit of material missing from the lower post mount, but only a very small amount. Probably why I missed it. I also guess that after the last birthday I gave the bike (about 1 month ago) I reset the caliper and the mounts and have plenty of clearance.

I guess this is the easiest fix, juust make sure the clearance is there when you set the caliper.

Thanks!

Roy
    mtbr member

203mm rotor and Fox/King

I had to grind off a little of the 203mm Avid adapter on my Fox Vanilla fork (with King hubs) as it was actually touching the rotor. Didn't have to grind much, and a quick spray of black paint made everything look and work great.

Transition Blindside v5

My TALAS/185mm/XT-combo is OK...

I know my comment here is for a differnet fork/hub combo, but - just as FYI - I have a Fox TALAS RL fork + Avid mech 185mm + XT hub, and mine's been fine (crossing my fingers). But, yes, it sure looks pretty close, though...