Kiwi Spotter
    Jun 2004

help with "Avid Juicys" please

Hi guys
    coming to you all the way from New Zealand

Have been running a set of 165mm Juicys front and rear for around 30 hoursof riding an been very impressed with stopping power\modulation, but I am getting this metalic grinding pulse coming from them

Does not seem to effect performance just feels bad

I have read in the reviews that somebody changed to a different rotor, but this did not fix the problem..

any ideas, anybody else having some trouble?

I am going to try some EBC red pads and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers in advance

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??

Pads might help some....

but you need to do a search on tscheezy, (mtbr member) & look for a post concerning "filing rotor edges". Try to get a hold of tscheezy if you can't find anything.
    "File a bevel on the leading edges of the rotor", (that make contact w/the pads), w/a round chainsaw file. tscheezy made a great post sometime back about beveling the edges of the rotors. It shows you exactly where to file. It worked for me but I have to re-file them periodically. Heatin' up & coolin' down of the rotors seems to make the problem re-occur. Even so, the Juicys are good brakes. I hope one of these days Avid will get their pad compound dialed in to eleminate the noise, IMHO it's the most likely problem.