mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Help with Avid Elixir 1

I have a 2012 Giant Anthem X4 29er equipped with Avid Elixir 1 brakes.

The right lever (rear brake) moves about 1/4"-3/8" before the pads grab. This is typical of what I've experienced on other systems that I've used (Avid Juicy 7, Hayes) and I like this setup since the lever ends up roughly parallel to the handlebar at the point that it starts to grab. Very easy to modulate with just 1 finger.

When the left lever (front brake) is squeezed just a few mm (maybe 1/16") the front starts to grab. This makes the front feel overly sensitive and I don't really like it.

Is there a way to remedy this? On both of my previous bikes, the lever travel was roughly the same on both sides. That's what I'm after.

I downloaded the service manual, but don't see this particular symptom in the troubleshooting section.

Thanks,
    Bob

Merendon Junkie
    You could try bleeding some fluid out of the system. Just a few drops will make a difference.
    Loosen bleed bolt on the lever but dont take it out all the way. If no fluid comes out then squeeze the lever a tad and re tighten the bleed screw after some fluid has drained. DONT release the lever before you tighten the screw back in, as this will draw air in. Test it and see if it feels better.

Make sure to clean any remmants of brake fluid as soon as posible. Use water.

mtbr member
    This. I build tons of bikes with Elixir ones at work (unfortunately)...... This is the most common complaint/ailment of the lower end avids. They are not filled/bled with any consistency. I agree with abelfonseca's remedy with just one exception. Push out the fluid by compressing the pads or pistons. Not by pulling the lever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    what do you mean by compressing the pads or pistons? how?

Merendon Junkie
    Yes, now that I think about ir better, i think pressing the lever might
    Only draw out fluid if you loosen the caliper bleed screw. But that
    Would risk contaminating the pads. The way ghettocop suggests sounds best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    how do you push out the fluid by compressing the pads?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have we eliminated the engagement point adjusting screw - the 3mm allen where the lever contacts the piston - being way too tight?

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnbike View Post
    how do you push out the fluid by compressing the pads?
    You unscrew the lever bleed screw and put rag around it to catch the fluid. Then with the wheel out you push the pistons apart. You can do this several ways, the best method i found is by inserting a plastic spacer that for me has the perfect thickness. You could also pry them apart with a flat head screwdriver. Just be carefull not to damage the pads. This should make some fluid come out of the lever, screw the bleed port back in. Then clean up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thank you all for the help!

I backed the bleed screw partially out. As soon as I did this, fluid started to weep out. So, I tightened the screw back up. Lever travel is now perfect.

Bob