mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Help with another Avid noise problem

only this time the noise is only when using the brakes. My front brake makes a sound similar to a rear hub coasting or a card in your spokes but not nearly that loud. Once I hit a certain speed, about 6 mph or so, the sound starts when using the brake. As soon as I let off on the brake it goes away. My rear brake does not make this noise. I've readjusted the brakes with no effect. Other than the noise the brakes work fine. The brakes are a couple of months old and I have about 50 miles on them so far.

Has anyone else ever have this problem or have any ideas what may be causing this noise? Any help or insight is appreciated.

Steve

Expert Pushing SSer

Check this out...

I assume you are refering to Avid mechanicals? Well, that is my situation sounds almost like a scuffing noise (bent rotor, but not). Any way, the guy at the shop said the outer pad was being pushed too far before the inner pad made contact to start the braking (pushing the rotor too far and the scuffing noise started). The wrench said to loosen allen head cable at brake caliper end, rotate the inboard red dial clockwise, pull brake cable with lever basically making lots of slack in the system, tighten allen bolt down on cable.....hope this helps. If my explanation is phuked , it is because it is late.

Mike
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Avid brake noise

Yes, I have Avid mechanical disc brakes. Sorry about that!

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snweiler
    Yes, I have Avid mechanical disc brakes. Sorry about that!

Steve

I just put mine on and when I was riding around trying to bed in the pads, I noticed both the front and rear started making exactly the sound you are describing. I was assuming that they just weren't broken in all the way yet, but maybe not. I'm pretty sure I have the pads adjusted the correct distance from the rotor, so I don't know.......

Dean